Is anyone else dealing with a leaking 3rd brake light?

brewyota

I find it surprising I haven’t been able to find any one who’s dealing with their 3rd brake light leaking into the cab..

I have a 2016 Tacoma that’s progressively gotten worse to the point where my seats are wet as a result.

The fix from what I’ve seen online is retarded and I’m truly disappointed in Toyota’s engineering for such poor design for a very simple feature.

Has any done a mode from the OEM light so you don’t have to rip the interior headliner apart?

Do better Toyota..

Quite a few people warned me about this problem. I have a 2016 with a cracked lenses and still no leaks.

I saw a mod on Tacoma World. Guy makes new light assemblies that bolt on from the outside.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/meso-customs-3rd-brake-light-housings.600147/

Just so you are aware. MESO brake light does bolt on from outside but you do have to lower the headliner in order to remove the OEM brake light. In all honesty it took about 3 hrs for total install.

I find it surprising I haven’t been able to find any one who’s dealing with their 3rd brake light leaking into the cab..

I have a 2016 Tacoma that’s progressively gotten worse to the point where my seats are wet as a result.

The fix from what I’ve seen online is retarded and I’m truly disappointed in Toyota’s engineering for such poor design for a very simple feature.

Has any done a mode from the OEM light so you don’t have to rip the interior headliner apart?

Do better Toyota..

I just came across this TSB on NHTA

CRAP I CANT POST LINKS YET
(OP just paste this in the search bar of GOOGLE and it should be the first one that pops up. )

MC-10154796-9999 :)

Covered under warranty!!

2016 Tacoma. Rain last week in NJ. Noticed my rear seat was wet on the drivers side and it looked like dripping down rear window. Thought it was from the rear slider. Found the TSB listed on another Tacoma forum. Called the dealer and they played dumb. Scheduled an appointment for service, figured I could have them reprogram the transmission as well, since that's also a TSB. Dropped it off yesterday, they called mid-day to tell me it's definitely leaking from the 3rd brake light. Unfortunately, 3yr/30 warranty has expired and will not cover. Have to order parts and it will be $680+, which my reply was, "To change a light gasket?" "It's 3hrs labor, blah, blah, blah."....."Does it come with a new headliner?"...."No."

Needless to say, I reluctantly gave approval to fix it. What pisses me off the most, I purchased it used from this dealer in Nov '18. Had it in for replacement of the dashboard instrument cluster in the spring of '19 and looks like the TSB for the light was published in July '18. If it had occurred sooner, it would have still been under warranty repair.

upload_2020-8-19_12-31-23.png

Last edited:
Back