Is it really 87 octane?

jdr3366

People talk about octane rating as if it's always 87, or 89, or 91.

But, what is the likelihood that on a given day 87 octane fuel is 85? There must be a range, right?

And if there is, wouldn't moving up to 89 be a way to ensure (for at least raise the chances of getting) proper octane for the engine?

I know the computer adjusts, but adjusting down for 85 means less performance, right? Even if the difference is minor.

That's all fine, but my question is... Is there a range of octane permissible in gasoline when the pump says 87?

That's all fine, but my question is... Is there a range of octane permissible in gasoline when the pump says 87?
You could travel around the USA and take samples of all the gas and send it to a lab and let us know your results. Until then I’m going with if it says 87 octane it’s 87.

It is required to be as advertised. If it is below 87 octane than it has to be labeled as such.
There’s very strict testing of octane levels. State and federal. From what I’ve read and seen pretty much any test that has been done is up to standard. Minus a few rare exceptions here and there.

i got better fuel mileage and power felt the same

My gut tells me that before the transmission fix I was getting better performance on 89 vs 87 while using SSP. I can't comment on mpg because I usually eat lunch sitting in the truck with the AC on. So, there goes that metric. (That's also the reason I want better speakers as stated on another thread.)

I know, that any change in performance is minimal and you're not supposed to feel a difference. But subjectively, feeling it is just as good as it actually happening IMO. After all, we're talking about the enjoyment of driving a Taco, and feel is part of reality.

However, my right side brain (or is it the left side?) tells me to go back and give 87 a try now that the transmission is fixed.

My gut tells me that before the transmission fix I was getting better performance on 89 vs 87 while using SSP. I can't comment on mpg because I usually eat lunch sitting in the truck with the AC on. So, there goes that metric. (That's also the reason I want better speakers as stated on another thread.)

I know, that any change in performance is minimal and you're not supposed to feel a difference. But subjectively, feeling it is just as good as it actually happening IMO. After all, we're talking about the enjoyment of driving a Taco, and feel is part of reality.

However, my right side brain (or is it the left side?) tells me to go back and give 87 a try now that the transmission is fixed.

Give 87 a shot again. I always fuel at a reputable fuel station accross the street from a big grocery store with cheap fuel. They usually match price.

Back