Is my 2017 clutch housing waterproof/sealable?

geekyadam

I drive a 2017 TRD Sport DCSBMT. I want to know for sure if it's bad to use the clutch in deep water. I've researched online for awhile and learned all about the reasons that is bad in general, primarily because water (or mud etc) can get inside the clutch housing and cause the flywheel to slip (also you don't want baked-on mud all over your clutch). Some people mention they've gotten water into the clutch housing and let it dry out (or the heat of the clutch dried it out quickly) and they never saw any issues afterward. Some 4x4 vehicles have the ability to plug the clutch housing temporarily if you want, to avoid letting any liquids get inside, which means you can use the clutch in deep water. Other vehicles don't. Has anyone worked on a 3rd gen Tacoma with manual transmission that could confirm if the clutch housing is waterproof or pluggable?

Bonus points: Can anyone tell me, from an engineering point of view, why all clutch housings aren't waterproof/sealed?

Thanks much.

cricket_by_gerrit_klein_unsplash_0.png

Most trucks that I know are sealed a bit by the mating surfaces of the tranny and engine and by a rubber boot on the release bearing fork or by having an internal slave cylinder. You should be fine in most crossings but don't park in an ocean. Water will be coming into the cab before the clutch gets wet.

Most trucks that I know are sealed a bit by the mating surfaces of the tranny and engine and by a rubber boot on the release bearing fork or by having an internal slave cylinder. You should be fine in most crossings but don't park in an ocean. Water will be coming into the cab before the clutch gets wet.
sound advice

Well put.

I had water high enough to soak the air filter which draws air from directly behind the passenger headlight in a Ranger. I even got stuck and had to back out but never had clutch issues while doing so.

CD8FCA31-7D5B-4C2E-8134-69929FD8AAC5.jpeg DBD56B90-DF27-4178-9E53-73B89C857A59.jpeg

I've never had an issue with a clutch in water or mud either. I'd recommend not shifting gears if you think your trans may be under water, especially muddy water. Just in case is not water tight, don't want any grit getting between the clutch mating surfaces.

Back