issues with 2016 Tacoma

taco cruiser

Anyone have issues with transmission not staying in overdrive and have to speed up with cruise on and back off into over drive. Also premium Jbl system freezing needing to be totally reset Lastly the 3.5 is a good engine but on my long Either way I will update tomorrow as I will be taking to dealer. Please tune back I will advise as soon as dealer advises issue

2016 Tacoma Trd Off-road. (Silver Bullet)
2015 Tacoma Sr5. (Polar Bear)

I couldn't understand your post, what problems were you having with the 3.5L v6? Also, what did your dealer say about the issues.

Ok to clarify. On my 2016 Tacoma I set cruise control to 75 mph when I have to stop or slow down and I press resume on cruise control the truck speeds up to 75 mph but continues to stay revved up and will not switch gears to overdrive and stays at a higher rpm. It will not switch from 4th gear to 5-6 gear unless I accelerate with my foot past 75 to around 78 mph and let go of the accelerator pedal and then it switches to the overdrive and lower rpm. Took it into dealer to have it checked out as well as the stereo system constantly freezing. Dropped the truck off 11-5-15 truck is still there.. Needless to say they told me truck would be finished next day. When I called dealer I was advised truck would not be ready till11-11-15 as they are awaiting programming for stereo and programming of the shift points .. I. Call total bullshit on dealer explanation.

Ok to clarify. On my 2016 Tacoma I set cruise control to 75 mph when I have to stop or slow down and I press resume on cruise control the truck speeds up to 75 mph but continues to stay revved up and will not switch gears to overdrive and stays at a higher rpm. It will not switch from 4th gear to 5-6 gear unless I accelerate with my foot past 75 to around 78 mph and let go of the accelerator pedal and then it switches to the overdrive and lower rpm. Took it into dealer to have it checked out as well as the stereo system constantly freezing. Dropped the truck off 11-5-15 truck is still there.. Needless to say they told me truck would be finished next day. When I called dealer I was advised truck would not be ready till11-11-15 as they are awaiting programming for stereo and programming of the shift points .. I. Call total bullshit on dealer explanation.

I agree. Simple programming that any software can he sent via email or next day air. I'd be at their desk kicking chairs until it's ready. But that's just me.

Very strange... I noticed the same exact issue... Please let us know what the dealer finds and if they are able to correct it.

2016 Tacoma TRD - SPORT 4x4

Oh boy. I have a 2016 TRD 4x4 on order that is being "held" in CA even though it was built and ready for delivery. Maybe they are fixing the transmission problem first???

Ok update Via Toyota they are aware of the issue Representative contacted me and advised they are working on a software update. Update has not been complete ted so as far as a release date I will advise as soon as Toyota calls me and advises new update is ready to install.

Ok update Via Toyota they are aware of the issue Representative contacted me and advised they are working on a software update. Update has not been completed so as far as a release date I will advise as soon as Toyota calls me and advises new update is ready to install.

My 2012 runs like a dream. No problems with the shifting here. Another reason why I never buy the first year on the redesign. JMO

5th and 6th gear on the auto transmission are both overdrives. 6th being pretty high. Most have found on the auto both V6 and 4cylinder that the Auto transmission constantly shifts between 6 -5 even on flat roads. At 60-65 mph it is pretty stable as long as the road is flat and or no headwind. But faster speeds the wind resistance picks up and the shifting cycling starts. It is less likely to do this with cruise control off, but still is an issue.

One thing I did is set "S" mode and set 5, meaning 5th is the highest gear it will up-shift to. That was a big improvement, and my MPG went up 1.2 mpg. The slightly higher RPM lets the engine develop more torque to maintain speed better and use less fuel in the process.

So a software fix definitely is in order!

Yes sir Scott real is head service advisor for Toyota corporate he is out of Denver he told me software update was being tested to make sure it works correctly before it is released. Stated not a recall but would be installed when customer brings Tacomas in for oil change ect.

Yes sir Scott real is head service advisor for Toyota corporate he is out of Denver he told me software update was being tested to make sure it works correctly before it is released. Stated not a recall but would be installed when customer brings Tacomas in for oil change ect.

Hey Taco Cruiser and others, thanks for the continued updates on this issue. I've got a 3rd gen on order, to be delivered sometime in late January. Hopefully this bug is worked out and updated by then!

I'm sure will be I am still awaiting notification via field service tech. All 2016 units are affected not just a unit here and there ALL....

New to forum: Just purchased a 2016 TRD Off Rd double cab At. the manufacture date on it is 11-20-15 and it doesn't have an issue like the one described by op. So I would say it is fixed with updates to be issued

Ok take truck out on highway put on cruise control at 75-80 mph. Then drop down to 45-50 put on resume let's see if transmission will shift easily into final drive gear. Is not going to happen unless you are driving down hill

Back