JBL, non JBL

Sounds like a project for next weekend.

That's right. I'm responding to my own comment.

Speakers and assorted gear all arrived today. Ready to install my Kickers.

Very nervous about this. Not good at disassembly.

Actually disassembly isn't too bad. It's putting everything back together that's the problem.

Did I tell you about the time I inserted the chamber in my LCP backwards? Or, when I forgot one pin in my Yakima trailer? I once disassembled the fuel reservoir in my '69 Corvair.... I'll stop there.

Beautiful tweeters. Oscar Peterson never sounded better.

I found that it was not necessary to remove the A pillar plastic cover. I tried that on the driver's side and the final fit was more difficult to achieve than on the passenger side where I just removed the speaker grille.

4 more to go tomorrow.

Amazing, the Taco is built to be modified.

On my 17TRDSport 4 door speaker upgrade, here's what I discovered today. Hope this is helpful.

The front door speakers were not difficult to install but time consuming. It was not necessary to remove the green and white metal balls from the door handle. I just slipped the silver handle through the interior door slot. That saved me from trying to remember where the green and silver balls attach.

I covered as much of the metal door with the sound deadening material as I could reach. I concentrated on the metal in back of the openings of the metal interior part of the door. I also added material around the edge of the plastic grill. Plastic interior, of course.

I did not throw out the plastic that covers the door. Rather, I pulled it away so I could reach through the openings. Then I replaced it against the black sticky stuff, and then put deadening over the openings that the fiber material covers.

The biggest challenges??? The frame to hold the speakers is a pain to position and screw in. I had to make a new hole in the frame. Careful not to puncture the speaker.

The wires slide into metal connector at the speaker end nicely. The biggest problem was that the wire to use for the replacement speakers had just 2 bear wires at the other end. My solution was to push the wires into the original white plastic harness, tape it up, and now it works just fine.

I was concerned about polarity, but there was nothing in the instructions or on the speaker clips to help me figure this out. So, I took a chance. For the front door, the negative wire from the speakers inserts into the harness opening that is next to the smooth edge of the harness. Sound is good.

Took lots longer than I expected. Best not to rush.

Next, the rear doors.

JBL will be in 2019 models. Problem with JBL is there’s no amp that’s why they get tweeters. So if you like upgrade or replace speakers your screwed. Now you have to buy new deck, amp, speakers, or get screwed any have dealer replace.
2018 speakers way better anyways.
JBL just a name in the Toyota lineup

Im sorry if this has already been answered but does the factory radio have an rca subwoofer out?Im considering adding an amp and sub and am wondering what the connection to the radio will entail. Thanks

Im sorry if this has already been answered but does the factory radio have an rca subwoofer out?Im considering adding an amp and sub and am wondering what the connection to the radio will entail. Thanks
Splicing if you don’t buy the OEM audio plus sub, amp and wire harness kit. There might be other wire harnesses out now. I haven’t researched them in a couple months.

https://oemaudioplus.com/toyota/tcd1600/

I just want to round out this thread, for me, anyway,

Installing the Kickers with the sound deadening insulation is the most positively consquential mod I've done to the Taco. Can't imaging other speakers doing better. Thanks to OR17TRD for the recommendation, and others for videos and guidance. Oscar Peterson supported by Joe Pass on guitar and Niels-Hening Orsted on bass sound so smooth.

When the music is on (mid volume) the cabin is so quiet. All I hear (besides music) is the engine when I accelerate. Perfect.

Had to go back in with more insulation to fix some vibration around the driver front door speaker. Again, no problem

Hey everyone, birthday is coming up. I got a budget of about $500 for a speaker upgrade for my dcsb trd sport. Not really wanting to do an amp/subwoofer set up, just upgraded door speakers/tweeters with the factory radio. Need some suggestions.

Back