Jurk/hesitate at steady throttle/high idle

problem taco

Hi this is jacob, im 17 and this my first time posting so inform if im doing it wrong!:)

Okay i have a 1999 tacoma extended cab sr5 3.4l manual,4x4 with 183000 miles. I love it, but about 9 months ago it started jurking or hesitating while cruising! So i replaced the ingnition control module...didn't help! Then i cleaned the throttle body and maf sensor, didnt help. But it was fairly dirty from that big hose that comes in to the back of the intake tube!( a valve cover vent i think) so i replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs and wires...didn't help! There is no engine light on! I got me a cheap obd2 reader and it said the evap system code was thrown! So i checked the valve on the charcoal canister. It works! The charcoal canister looks new! Got new gas caps, both vented and sealed. Neither one helped! It jurks the worst at around 55mph and it never jurks at wot! Seems to get worse under a quarter tank! I have no way of getting a smoke tester! I Always run 91 octane! Should replace the fuel pump? The fuel line has wet spot on it were it runs though a bracket after the fuel filter! It idles at about 1500rpms and lopes or... it idles up and then down and is never consistent but it has never died! I cant adjust it down, ive tried!No power loss that i can tell! Ive checked vacum lines! Is it just time to replace the timing belt again? I have no clue wen it was done last cause im the second owner! Any help will be appreciated!

Hope you can make sense of that!

Thanks,
Jake

Last edited:
I've got a similar problem at around 2K, but I haven't started to dive in. Most of what you've said is what I would have checked so you've got me a bit worried. Fuel pumps and injectors are the next things I would be looking at, but before you go down that road run a can or two of Seafoam through the fuel and the intake (usually via vacuum line. The other thing you didn't mention replacing was the cap and rotor. I've read on a few forums that this was the fix for a few people. It doesn't make a lot of sense with a gas level issue, but it's cheap and easy.

Let me know what happened. I'm just starting down this road myself.

Thanks for the replies!! So i took apart my dash and found out that the cel light had been removed!!): ive replaced the fuel pump and maf. I took the charcoal canister totally out and plugged the lines....took it for a drive and it did the same thing!! And by the way i have no catalytic converter, could this be the problem?? Probably why they took the light out!? Mabe its a ground problem? It doesn't really happens if u hit a bump! Anyway still stumped!! Thanks

Hi i kinda got it fixed! Not perfect but WAY better!! Low and behold the tps sensor conection was loose so i bought a new one to fix the connection and now it works good! But my charcoal canister is still bad so i got to find money to buy a new one! Still runs alittle rough and might have to replace co2 sensor! Anyways hope this helps some otheres out!

When I did the plugs and wires it fixed it for me. It still idled rough. So I poured a can of seafoam in to the gas, and drove it around. After a tank or two my idle smoothed out. Maybe just drive it before you start replacing O2 sensors. You can also just check the resistance of an O2 sensor to know if it's still good.

Back