Just an innocent question about the Tacoma's tranny, so let's not fight.....

It appeared to downshift about 4 times to roughly to 3500 RPM's going up a steep incline. I seriously doubt that it was in 2nd gear at 70 MPH

So, when shifting into the "ECT" mode, things seemed different.

Never noticed a difference using the ECT AKA Electronic Controlled Turbo button at highway speeds.

It does work great in street driving thou!

what/where is this ect button you speak of ?

Not my dash, just a pic I googled. Same location thou.

i-FSQDR48-L.jpg

I 've tried ECT and imo, it sucks for towing loads below 3k lbs. I found S4 or S5 much better. In ECT the shift points are too long, and the truck guzzles fuel like addicted to it.
As far as the cruise control, mine works normal like the my tundra did. Some claim a problem, but i can't.

Well I'll get first hand knowledge in a week or so......traded in a 2018 stinger for a taco sr5...all white alloys...with the ect button.

I drive in S-mode all the time! It makes it feel like a manual valve body transmission like my old '69 camaro had ,and use ECT all the time ! I like the higher shift points in ECT winds it up a little more and feels like it has more balls cuz I miss the 4.7 in my '03 Tundra. I never use D mode .ECT is nice pulling out on the ramp at the highway too!:)

Back