Just Goes to show

silverT

My McPherson strut snapped at the the joining area at the control arm
On the control arm the bushing part sits as perfect as ever but steel pipe snapped off
And I was driving as slow as can be . This is a strut look towards bottom at round bushing
that is what snapped off Go figure but we were we were getting below zero temps

7266164e8a3f4f6cb568bec6e4eb67f3_490.jpg

Last edited:
Yes at the weld ( the weld of the McPherson strut )

Attachments

• 7266164e8a3f4f6cb568bec6e4eb67f3_490.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 49
On the control arm the bushing part sits as perfect as ever but steel pipe snapped off
And I was driving as slow as can be . This is a strut look towards bottom at round bushing

Man. That really sucks. The fact it happened in below zero weather just adds insult to injury.

Man. That really sucks. The fact it happened in below zero weather just adds insult to injury.
The joke is I drive it mellow , If I was horsing around , flying up the mountain roads i'd say well yeah .
I was driving like 30 MPH and heard a loud snap sound the type that makes you say " that sounded bad "
took a few days till I even till realized cause I drive it that mellow . These could be the original struts with 235,000 miles

Manufacturing defect. At least the truck stayed in the road!
True. You could contact them and see what there manufacture defect warranty is. Heated steel has a higher freezing rate making it brittle in extremely cold temps. Where it broke won’t cause loss of control it will just make your ride bad.

True. You could contact them and see what there manufacture defect warranty is. Heated steel has a higher freezing rate making it brittle in extremely cold temps. Where it broke won’t cause loss of control it will just make your ride bad.

Worth a shot to contact them.

I never understood why Bilstein (or Toyota) designed these with the pencil necked ,skinny ass, ugly ass really, stems/toothpicks....

I've seen them snap in all 3 places, not many at the bushing tho'...

Im half asleep srry. Dugs out too

Nice to meet you half asleep.
Look at this guys profile picture.... you may not want to meet him while your asleep... remember the most important rule: sleep on your back or somebody else will!
That’s what I said

No one seemed interested in that suggestion. I need a fritter.

Hey I liked your post. You also said to contact the manufacturer. I still think it’s worth a shot but Bilstiens is definitely a better option.

Look at this guys profile picture.... you may not want to meet him while your asleep... remember the most important rule: sleep on your back or somebody else will!

Hey I liked your post. You also said to contact the manufacturer. I still think it’s worth a shot but Bilstiens is definitely a better option.
I said you could contact them. Replying to the post of the manufacture defect. If they where going to send me a new set for free I’d take them and sale them and help pay for my new 5100’s.

Once I get off I'll see if I can figure a manufacture on Strut assembly if it's the original from truck I could call Toyota
Realize where it broke it snapped and slid off and landed on edge of control arm . It's kinda wedged there by the grace of God .
Time constraints to fix are causing me to get Monro at local auto parts . Other side will be a Rock auto purchase for passenger side for $94 I'll do broken side first
At the bottom of list - Rock has RANCHORS999915 just from the look appears stronger
I am paying $166 at Napa for a Monro
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...on,strut+/+coil+spring+/+mount+assembly,15174

My mind set is caught in the days of 15 years ago when the concept of a Strut job was $600 bucks as now I see the fix is low in cost
for preventive maintenance it's worth the fix

Last edited:
Back