K&n cold air intake

I'm not talking about the hot air intake... I found a garage with a cold air intake... Uses a k&n filter and is all COLD AIR. I know you've bashed the hot air one, but this is cold air only.

You said it was a K&N intake but K&N doesn't make cold air intakes.

If it is an intake that pulls from the stock location then you will get more noise and a few horsepower you won't feel.

Last edited:
They aren't called cold air intakes. They are called air charger kits. They claim their heat sheild blocks the hot air in the engine bay but it is more like a heat fence. It doesn't seal well against the hood and it doesn't seal well against anything else. Also the "shield" has a big hole in it for the intake tube. Hot can pass through all those areas.

63-9025_Eng.jpg

I read about the urd intake, it seems better? would that gain HP?
You're not going to gain any noticeable power from any intake. Stock intake pulls in all the air the engine could ever use. The only thing you gain is a cleaner looking engine bay, more intake noise and a lighter wallet. FWIW I have had a AFE pro dry drop in filter since new only for the fact that I never need to buy a filter again and I won't have MAF issues that can occur with the oiled type filters.

it swears of an average gain of 10 hp?

It probably did on a non stock engine and perfect dyno conditions. Also it probably says up to 10 hp.

I read about the urd intake, it seems better? would that gain HP?

This is probably the best intake out there for power but gains are at high RPM so useless for everyday driving. Also this intake is no yood if you wheel or live in a state with a lot of rain or snow.

Last edited:
It comes with splash guards for a stock truck. The stock intake isn't a cone filter right behind the grill like the URD intake.

A MAF cal is pretty much a piggyback ECU but simplified. It changes the readings to the ECU from the MAF so that the ECU thinks more air is going through so in turn more fuel is injected.

It comes with splash guards for a stock truck. The stock intake isn't a cone filter right behind the grill like the URD intake.

A MAF cal is pretty much a piggyback ECU but simplified. It changes the readings to the ECU from the MAF so that the ECU thinks more air is going through so in turn more fuel is injected.
Is it like a chip? And what splash guards do you need for it?

Back