Kazoo/reed noise

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by Friskelm, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Friskelm

Friskelm Active Member

For the first time in 3 years 14 and 16 Taco, i am at the dealership and they admit to knowing what the kazoo noise is on the hiway with a crosswind. Not only do they admit, they are fixing it as I type!!! I will let you know if it didn't work

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

There was a TSB out for 2nd gens but I could never make it in with the noise going.

4. TacoRick

TacoRick Well-Known Member

I was told by my service department back in April that they know what the cause is. I was also told that a TSB was going to be issued in May. My truck is currently at the dealer for other issues, and they told me that the TSB still has not been issued.

5. OP
    Friskelm

Friskelm Active Member

The fix was applied to my truck yesterday. They didn't test drive to make noise just took my word. It is a plastic rod put in the front door deal to tighten up the seal to door pressure so it doesn't vibrate. I will see how it works when I have a little crosswind in the hiway

6. TacoRick

Can you post a pic?

7. OP
    Friskelm

Friskelm Active Member

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1469291819.924708.jpg ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1469291848.628771.jpg
    Hard to see but a hard rubber cylindrical stock glued into the upper fold of the front door seals

I did have the favorable conditions for the noise last night on my drive home and no noise

8. OP
    Friskelm

Friskelm Active Member

9. TacoRick

That helps. Thanks.

10. OP
    Friskelm

Friskelm Active Member

Driven in pretty heavy winds this week from all sides. I think they solved it.

No they haven’t. 3 “fixes” but no solution.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  11. toyota81

toyota81 New Member

This has been driving me crazy thank you! I had a 2012 taco and now a 2017 and they both sound like kazoos in a crosswind.

12. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

13. OP
    Friskelm

Friskelm Active Member

14. OP
    Friskelm

Friskelm Active Member

3 “fixes” applied to my truck and still get the noise

15. Scuzzy

Scuzzy Well-Known Member

Well I cured it the old fashioned way...turned up the tunes...

16. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Yeah I had the dealer fix mine once and now I just do what @Scuzzy does

17. tacomalimited

tacomalimited 2018 dcsb mgm limited 4x4

I was getting a whistling noise coming from my sideview mirror only when the window was open, I siliconed the tiny seam where the colored part of the mirror meets the black part of the mirror and the noise is gone! I think my whistle was different from what you were experiencing though, I only heard mine when the window was open.