Keep your a/c coil dry and odor-free

StringTones

I started a new thread to share my findings. I have a 2nd gen Tacoma 2011 and experienced a musty odor from the a/c vents. This condition is not Toyota specific, but Toyota has recognized this as a legitimate complaint. They have taken the effort to communicate this to Toyota Service Centers through a service Bulletin.

I will paste the link here, where I was able to gain access to service bulletins:
http://www.toyotapart.com/TECH.html

The path to take is to select "Camry" then scroll down to find the bulletin titled "Air Conditioning Evaporator Odor Service Procedures T-AC97-002"

This bulletin addresses all affected Toyota models, which includes Tacoma. I will paste the direct link to this bulletin here:
http://www.toyotapart.com/AIR_CONDITIONING_EVAPORATOR_ODOR_SERVICE_PROCEDURES_T-AC97-002.pdf

The odor I was experiencing has not returned since I have done two things, verified good flow of condensate from the drain tube and dry my evaporator coil by running the blower fan for a few minutes at the end of each a/c operation. Try this in any vehicle you drive that has the same issue.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had that issue, however if I do this gives me a couple options.

Holy crap we have a 12 Camry hybrid and man dose it smell musty really bad esp when the ac is on
You need to ''poofh it'', or poop it, whatever that stuff is called. Maybe hang a damp rid somewhere in the car in the mean time.

Simple task to avoid this problem.

Shut off the A/C about 2 miles before you arrive at the destination. This gives time for the system to defrost and drain. I'm fairly sure most of you could survive a few miles without the A/C.

I try not to run ac in stop and go traffic
Unless it's rainy and humid AF

Simple task to avoid this problem.

Shut off the A/C about 2 miles before you arrive at the destination. This gives time for the system to defrost and drain. I'm fairly sure most of you could survive a few miles without the A/C.
I usually do this but when the outside temps are over 95 degrees F, it can be a tough ask to do this.

I usually do this but when the outside temps are over 95 degrees F, it can be a tough ask to do this.
Yeah, most I've done under those conditions is shut my A/C off a few hundred yards before reaching my destination.

Wow...... unable to tolerate 3-4 minutes without A/C. soft, soft, soft, mushy, squishy, soft..............

Yet, its much more pleasant to endure the dank, wet dog smell and complain the A/C stinks.

I gotta take a look inside my cabin filter soon as it stops raining here. Idk if its a product from using the A/C weeks ago, or just from the damp humid weather we've been having, but its worse then having a bucket of stinky old socks, or cheese gone bad, while riding around in this truck. I've had A/C trucks before but none have had cabin filters.

That 95 is with rancid humidity, yes? No?

A desert 95+ is easily doable with no AC in bumper to bumper slower speeds

Back