Learn From My Mistakes...

swbenson33

I was sold a brand new Tacoma with a bad transmission, and it has been an utter nightmare ever since.

If even one person can learn from my mistakes, then taking the time to write this is worth it.

Key Lessons Learned:

1.Serious issues, contact a lawyer immediately. Lemon Law covers your legal fees.

2.All new vehicles are not created equal. Once you decide on a specific vehicle, test drive 3-4 of the same model to avoid a lemon.

3.Toyota quality is not what it used to be. Best to expand your net when shopping for a new car, no need to pay a premium for “quality” you are not receiving.

4.Toyota “Customer Care” can not only be shockingly unhelpful, but very rude.

5.Toyota is now a global enterprise, no longer bound by Japanese cultural values and dedication to excellence. Profits are all that matter now.

My story:

I have been a loyal Toyota owner for the last 20 years, I have only owned Toyotas for the last 20 years. My previous vehicle was a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Off Road 4x2. I owned it for 8 years. The only thing that ever broke was the air conditioning unit – not a big deal. After loving every Toyota I have ever owned, there was only one option for me when I decided to buy a new one: the new Tacoma. I spent two months researching the different features, options, prices, etc. When I went to buy, I knew exactly what I wanted. I did a fairly extensive road test of one Tacoma, but ended up buying a different one (although it was exactly the same thing). The one I ended up buying, I pretty much just drove around the block. It was exactly the same truck, and brand new, it never crossed my mind that Toyota would sell a lemon off the lot. The whole reason I have been loyal to the brand and happy to pay a premium, is for the quality. So as to avoid issues. To have a reliable product. To love my truck and be excited about it. My blind loyalty has caused me a lot of heartache. Now I know. Obviously I wish had never purchased my particular truck. I wish I had bought the one of the other ones I had driven, or not bought one at all.

I have owned the truck for about two months. I have had the truck serviced 5 times. The issues I have experienced are as follows: transmission (more below), CV joint, dash vibration, USB port, cabin light. More problems in two months than I had in 8 years with my previous truck…mind blowing, irritating, and incredibly disappointing – this was my dream truck. This was supposed to be a reward for years of hard work.

The most serious problem is the transmission. Beyond rough gear changes, slipping, “clunking”, and just an extremely unenjoyable ride, I have narrowly escaped two accidents when the transmission failed to engage. The first time was when I was turning left in front of oncoming traffic. Instead of accelerating through the turn, I pressed on the gas but the truck did not accelerate. I was just a sitting duck. Luckily the transmission engaged just in time and I got through the intersection unscathed. The second time was when I was on the freeway and wanted to accelerate and move into a faster lane. Same as before, I pressed on the gas pedal but the truck did not accelerate. I was almost hit from behind, and when the transmission did finally engage the truck jumped forward and I almost hit the car in front of me. Both cases were unsettling to say the least. The truck is not safe, and I do not allow my family in it. Think about that. I cannot take my family in my brand new truck because it is unsafe. I would not drive it at all, but do not have an alternate vehicle, and I thought Toyota would have resolved this dangerous situation a long time ago.

In summary, I cannot possibly communicate how frustrated I am with the truck. Treating myself to the truck was supposed to bring me a lot of happiness, unfortunately it has been nothing but pure irritation, from driving it, to the constant trips to the dealership, to the rude customer service. Thank goodness there is the Lemon Law to protect consumers!!

Sucks to get a bad one. All manufactures have them. If you buy enough vehicles you’re going to get a lemon eventually. I’ve seen multiple people on here sell and trade their turd gens over the past 2 years because of similar issues.
Most of them have been worked out with TSB’s and recalls. Have you got all them done? Have you tried running the transmission in S mode with the ect button on? That seems to make it more responsive. There are aftermarket options to help. The latest TSB seemed to help the transmission.
In 18 months mine was in the shop 14 times. I was without it for 38 days documented and waited 27 hrs in a service lobby waiting for answers. Keep all documents. Every states lemon laws are different.
Toyota eventually took care of me and I will keep buying Toyota’s.

I was sold a brand new Tacoma with a bad transmission, and it has been an utter nightmare ever since.

If even one person can learn from my mistakes, then taking the time to write this is worth it.

Key Lessons Learned:

1.Serious issues, contact a lawyer immediately. Lemon Law covers your legal fees.

2.All new vehicles are not created equal. Once you decide on a specific vehicle, test drive 3-4 of the same model to avoid a lemon.

3.Toyota quality is not what it used to be. Best to expand your net when shopping for a new car, no need to pay a premium for “quality” you are not receiving.

4.Toyota “Customer Care” can not only be shockingly unhelpful, but very rude.

5.Toyota is now a global enterprise, no longer bound by Japanese cultural values and dedication to excellence. Profits are all that matter now.

My story:

I have been a loyal Toyota owner for the last 20 years, I have only owned Toyotas for the last 20 years. My previous vehicle was a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Off Road 4x2. I owned it for 8 years. The only thing that ever broke was the air conditioning unit – not a big deal. After loving every Toyota I have ever owned, there was only one option for me when I decided to buy a new one: the new Tacoma. I spent two months researching the different features, options, prices, etc. When I went to buy, I knew exactly what I wanted. I did a fairly extensive road test of one Tacoma, but ended up buying a different one (although it was exactly the same thing). The one I ended up buying, I pretty much just drove around the block. It was exactly the same truck, and brand new, it never crossed my mind that Toyota would sell a lemon off the lot. The whole reason I have been loyal to the brand and happy to pay a premium, is for the quality. So as to avoid issues. To have a reliable product. To love my truck and be excited about it. My blind loyalty has caused me a lot of heartache. Now I know. Obviously I wish had never purchased my particular truck. I wish I had bought the one of the other ones I had driven, or not bought one at all.

I have owned the truck for about two months. I have had the truck serviced 5 times. The issues I have experienced are as follows: transmission (more below), CV joint, dash vibration, USB port, cabin light. More problems in two months than I had in 8 years with my previous truck…mind blowing, irritating, and incredibly disappointing – this was my dream truck. This was supposed to be a reward for years of hard work.

The most serious problem is the transmission. Beyond rough gear changes, slipping, “clunking”, and just an extremely unenjoyable ride, I have narrowly escaped two accidents when the transmission failed to engage. The first time was when I was turning left in front of oncoming traffic. Instead of accelerating through the turn, I pressed on the gas but the truck did not accelerate. I was just a sitting duck. Luckily the transmission engaged just in time and I got through the intersection unscathed. The second time was when I was on the freeway and wanted to accelerate and move into a faster lane. Same as before, I pressed on the gas pedal but the truck did not accelerate. I was almost hit from behind, and when the transmission did finally engage the truck jumped forward and I almost hit the car in front of me. Both cases were unsettling to say the least. The truck is not safe, and I do not allow my family in it. Think about that. I cannot take my family in my brand new truck because it is unsafe. I would not drive it at all, but do not have an alternate vehicle, and I thought Toyota would have resolved this dangerous situation a long time ago.

In summary, I cannot possibly communicate how frustrated I am with the truck. Treating myself to the truck was supposed to bring me a lot of happiness, unfortunately it has been nothing but pure irritation, from driving it, to the constant trips to the dealership, to the rude customer service. Thank goodness there is the Lemon Law to protect consumers!!
Definitely a real sucky situation!

Idk, about years back when the gen3 taco came out what issues they had, but my 2020, being my first taco, perform's flawless, better than any truck I've ever had. Plenty of power, and an automatic that shifts as smooth as a babies butt. I couldn't be happier with this tacoma.

tacoJoel, you barely have any miles onit lmao
Come back and speak when ya got a quarter million+ :oops:
Or a quarter century.. whichever comes first ..

There's other stuff out there besides a toyota product if you have some crazy issue with their current vehicles.

Back