LED with tacoma beast headlights.

cruzjjcruz

I just purchased the new headlights from tacoma beast and it said the warranty is voided if you put in LED's or HIDs in it. Has anyone out here done that?Screenshot_20180919-160823_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Not that Im aware of. But I did something similar with my Impala SS. I put the lights in a preheated oven, at 200, for 10 mins. That loosened things up, and they came apart. I used butyl to put back together, but clear silicone works also, just let it set up a little.

Not that Im aware of. But I did something similar with my Impala SS. I put the lights in a preheated oven, at 200, for 10 mins. That loosened things up, and they came apart. I used butyl to put back together, but clear silicone works also, just let it set up a little.
This is the best route, this is what I've done for a few others who couldn't afford oem lights and weren't comfortable baking their lights, bake em use butyl, and once cooled inuse get silicone on the outer seam.. I've never had a leak.

For those who won't bake their lights, the least they should do is the GE silicone ii in the seam

This is the best route, this is what I've done for a few others who couldn't afford oem lights and weren't comfortable baking their lights, bake em use butyl, and once cooled inuse get silicone on the outer seam.. I've never had a leak.

For those who won't bake their lights, the least they should do is the GE silicone ii in the seam
I want to do this.. It's finding the time that's the problem.

I want to do this.. It's finding the time that's the problem.
Trues... Take time, and when using silicone to finalize things, make sure ALL bulbs are out, and u let things off gas for preferably 24hrs. U don't want a haze.

The butyl part isn't bad at all, it just is scary the 1st time around.

Trues... Take time, and when using silicone to finalize things, make sure ALL bulbs are out, and u let things off gas for preferably 24hrs. U don't want a haze.

The butyl part isn't bad at all, it just is scary the 1st time around.
Seal with butyl first then silicone?

Seal with butyl first then silicone?
My process...
Remove all bulbs, screws, breathers etc
bake the lights in the oven... Preheated and turned off just before the lights go in. set a piece of cardboard on the oven rack and set the lights (1 at a time) on the cardboard...not directly on the oven rack.

Pull em open using welding gloves and a few flathead screwdrivers.
Clean out some of the old goop with screwdrivers
Pack the channel with butyl tape
Put back in preheated and turned off oven (let it come to temp first... Then shutoff before lights go in (on a piece of cardboard).

Pull em out, reinsert screws, clamp with a handful of clamps.
Redo the oven move with clamps on.
Take out while hot with welding gloves, press together by hand (with gloves) to insure good seating, recheck screws since the butyl has give still.

Let cool overnight.
Get 2 plastic grocery bags, GE silicone ii, caulk gun.
Make sure all bulbs and breather are removed still.
Prime silicone
Tear off a bit of grocery bag and wrap/cover your index and middle finger with doubled up pieces of grocery bag... Just a small portion to keep the silicone off ur fingers and the grocery bag strangely keeps the silicone from sticking to it, but after about 10min of contact u will have to throw away ur finger condom and make new 1 out of remaining grocery bag as the silicone deteriorates it.
Spread silicone onto the gap where the 2 halves of the light housing meets (do 1 headlight at a time here). Using your condomed fingers hold the housing of the light so the gap is facing up and the clear lens is facing towards your body (this way u can see the process). PRESS and work the silicone into the gap looking thru the clear lens side (remember?), Watch the silicone work into the gap and do this all the way around the housing. Maybe spread 6", of silicone at a time just so u can make sure ur getting good seal.

When done with each light, set lense side down onto a piece of cardboard and keep ALL bulbs and breathers OUT still. Let them set and off gas preferably 24hrs.

Then install hardware, put the lights in, go for a csrwash.

I've sent lights to Florida where they have been thru tons of mud, **** tons of humidity and rain, and not a single leak over years of abuse.

Maybe I take an extra step or 2, but I don't want to send out piss poor products.

My ADHD is owning me... But I think I got most of it covered.
Just again, do 1 light at a time, make sure the ovens off when the lights go in, set them on cardboard, not directly on steel rack, I can't recall exact temp as it's been yrs and ovens vary.
Make sure u NEVER EVER EVER touch the inside of the clear lense. U will not ever get the clear plastic 100% clear again... It will haze and smear the oil from your hands. Wiping the lense with a rag will only spread the oil. Just don't touch them, ever.

My ADHD is owning me... But I think I got most of it covered.
Just again, do 1 light at a time, make sure the ovens off when the lights go in, set them on cardboard, not directly on steel rack, I can't recall exact temp as it's been yrs and ovens vary.
Make sure u NEVER EVER EVER touch the inside of the clear lense. U will not ever get the clear plastic 100% clear again... It will haze and smear the oil from your hands. Wiping the lense with a rag will only spread the oil. Just don't touch them, ever.
Thanks @Bojangles I copied and saved all that for when I decide to do it. [emoji16]

Back