License Plate on Tailgate Question

Discussion in '1995 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma' started by ehrndz, Jun 25, 2018.

1. ehrndz

ehrndz New Member

Looking to put my license plate on my tailgate but want to make sure, 1. It’s road legal and 2. What the best way is going about doing this small mod.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. dwayne.surrat

dwayne.surrat Well-Known Member

As long as you have a light on it, it shouldn’t be a problem. I don’t know if you want to make it set in the tailgate or just bolt on to the tailgate. If you are going to just bolt it on that would be the easiest just drill 4 holes and remove the back of the tailgate and bolt it on

4. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Like the previous post stated, it should be legal as long as it’s lit up. Check with the DMV/local police to see.
    If you are drilling your tailgate then you are going to probably get eventual rust.

dwayne.surrat likes this.
  5. dwayne.surrat

dwayne.surrat Well-Known Member

I don’t know if you don’t have a rear bumper but they have roll pans IMG_4946.JPG

6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

What is the purpose? Do you have an off-road rear bumper that doesn’t accommodate? Are you making it a low rider?

7. OP
    ehrndz

ehrndz New Member

Yeah I had assumed it needed some form of illumination to be road legal. The rust issue is what worries me and a reason I asked. Has anyone used sealant or certain washers to prevent that from happening?

8. OP
    ehrndz

ehrndz New Member

The purpose is because of a tube rear bumper purchase that does not accommodate a license plate nor a light to illuminate. I’ve seen tons of individuals who drill their plates on the tailgate but wanted to seek guidance on best routes to take when doing this.

lcarrasco212 likes this.
  9. OR17TRD

That’s what I was wondering. Are you a handy person with body work or are you just wanting to know if you can screw into the tailgate and mount a solar light above it?

Bogunn likes this.
  10. OP
    ehrndz

ehrndz New Member

Just wanting to know the best route to take with the purchase of a rear tube bumper. I know individuals position the license plate everywhere in that particular area. Is there a way that works better than others? Also, I would hate to drill holes in the tailgate and then get a spare tire mount in the back and need to relocate the plate. Decisions, decisions ‍♂️

11. OR17TRD

Zip tie it to the tube

ehrndz likes this.
  12. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

You may find these useful for the lighting issue... 20180629_225642.jpeg

ehrndz and Bogunn like this.
  13. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Easiest solution

ehrndz likes this.