Lift thoughts

dawg

Thinking of going 5100 on front and 5160 on back. For a 2.5 lift...Anything else I should consider? This is a daily drive vehicle. I won’t be doing any off roading at all. Will have a off road shop install
Will upgrade the tires but need to keep stock rims for now due to cost What’s the biggest I can go? Thanks guys

I think that will be a good riding set up , just make sure u do the bushing swap on the front diff as ur increased cv ange will take the needle bearing out. If you really want a good ride I'd suggest getting the 6112s over 5100s was the best decision I made

So should I do 6112 all the way around? To illuminate the bushing swap also do not want to do any cutting for the tires

So should I do 6112 all the way around? To illuminate the bushing swap also do not want to do any cutting for the tires
ECGS Bushing swap is to eliminate the needle bearing. After a lift it can make a humming noise around 30-40mph which is annoying.
The 6112 is the bilsteins for the front that go with the 5160’s in back. People usually pair them together or do 5100’s all around. I have the 6112/5160 they make for a nice ride if you have the money I’d do them vs the 5100’s.
Biggest tires on stock wheels is 265/75/16 or 265/70/17. You’d need wheels spaces to go 285’s

I think the 5160’s can give up to 1.5” of lift in the rear.
Rear shocks don't lift tacomas, there's no perch to adjust. They can accommodate lifts up to certain levels without topping out tho.

Rear lift comes from a pack, an aal, a progressive aal, or..... *Gasp* blocks

That said, runnin too long of shocks and no rear lift out back can give more droop but less up travel. I tried tundra 5100 rears with a 1.5" icon progressive Aal. The droop was AMAZING, the ride was plush as hell on small bumps... But the lack of up travel caused the shocks to bottom out before making contact with the bumpstops, which happend on a pothole (terrible feeling). My up travel was very very small, and I went back to the Tacoma 5100s and it's been fine.
I'd rather have more uptravel instead of more droop on my truck personally. That way throwing 1000lbs in the back leaves me with plenty of travel before coming into contact with the bumpstops, and avoids bottoming the shock itself.

Last edited:
Rear shocks don't lift tacomas, there's no perch to adjust. They can accommodate lifts up to certain levels without topping out tho.

Rear lift comes from a pack, an aal, a progressive aal, or..... *Gasp* blocks

That said, runnin too long of shocks and no rear lift out back can give more droop but less up travel. I tried tundra 5100 rears with a 1.5" icon progressive Aal. The droop was AMAZING, the ride was plush as hell on small bumps... But the lack of up travel caused the shocks to bottom out before making contact with the bumpstops, which happend on a pothole (terrible feeling). My up travel was very very small, and I went back to the Tacoma 5100s and it's been fine.
I'd rather have more uptravel instead of more droop on my truck personally. That way throwing 1000lbs in the back leaves me with plenty of travel before coming into contact with the bumpstops, and avoids bottoming the shock itself.
So they can take up to 1.5” in the rear :D

Back