Long bed or short bed

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Gottorq, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Gottorq

Gottorq Member

I am looking to go from a Dodge Cummins to a new Tacoma, but I am unsure the difference of ride quality between the long bed and short bed. I won’t be doing any hard off roading, but it will see some mountain roads during hunting season. I currently have a short bed, but it is the same length as the Tacoma long bed. I would love to hear about if you all regret going long bed or wish you would have. Thanks in advance.

Cape taco, tooter and B-Man like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I’d go LB. The SB is better if you’re off-roading more and wanting a slightly more aggressive approach/descent angle. Lifting it with larger tires can help increase that some.
    If you’re wanting more functional bed space I’d go LB. I never had any issues with the LB while off-roading with my DCLB.
    4068D82C-ED7F-4FA1-A658-6A2690690EA0.jpeg

4. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Welcome and what OR said.

Cape taco, B.C., OR17TRD and 2 others like this.
  5. B.C.

B.C. Well-Known Member

Longggggggggggggg

6. WooD

WooD WooD

Go Long.

I think the short beds look kinda odd with the cab a couple inches from the wheel well.

[​IMG]

Denver, Cape taco, tooter and 3 others like this.
  7. B.C.

B.C. Well-Known Member

Remember to that even the long beds are still actually short...they are not 8 feet long like I consider a long bed to be.

8. WooD

WooD WooD

And when you had the tailgate down you had a 10 foot area for stuff.

LuhDew, Cape taco, tooter and 3 others like this.
  9. RonFad

RonFad Well-Known Member

I think the difference between a lb and sb for offroad is minimal the both have the same approach and departure angles the long bed has a smaller brake over angle . I Had a 2ed gen shot bed now have a 2017 long bed and notice hardly any difference. But I haven't been out as much as I would like to lately.

OR17TRD, Cape taco, tooter and 4 others like this.
  10. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

I prefer the short because it fits in my garage. This may not be an issue for you though.

Cape taco, tooter, B.C. and 1 other person like this.
  11. WooD

WooD WooD

Mine fits in my garage with plenty of room up front to walk around, Not so much in the back thou. It's an access cab thou.

[​IMG]

12. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Gotta love a Taco and Harley in the garage!

Cape taco, WooD, tooter and 2 others like this.
  13. tooter

tooter Well-Known Member

long bed definitely. i would want at least 11 ft. ha! :D

14. B.C.

B.C. Well-Known Member

If I could order 12 foot box Ram trucks, I would own a fleet of them...not joking.
    If they start making them, I will order 20 as company trucks.

15. OP
    Gottorq

Gottorq Member

Thanks guys, garage space is not an issue. I went ahead and listed my Ram for sale, not knowing how long it could take. Wouldn’t you know, sold in 36 hrs for full asking price. Now I just have to find the right Tacoma.

Cape taco, WooD, Scott Wyman and 2 others like this.
  16. B.C.

B.C. Well-Known Member

Congratulations!
    Ram pickups here sell very fast to.

Cape taco, Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  17. window

window New Member

I got a long bed for the reasons stated here. I wanted a manual transmission
    and they only come with a short bed. It was a tough decision.

B.C., B-Man and Cape taco like this.
  18. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

20191113_065921~2.jpg
    I looooove my Loooooooong bed !:cool: ride is nice not bouncy at all.Smooth highway runner we take it on trips vs my wife's x3 BMW. And my kayaks fit nice in there too.

WooD, B.C., cape cruiser and 2 others like this.
  19. TacomaLance

TacomaLance Well-Known Member

That's a gooooood looooooking truck. I like it. Of course the color too.

B.C., Cape taco and B-Man like this.
  20. Cape taco

Thanx:)

B-Man and B.C. like this.
  21. Cape taco

gavin-james-mic-drop.gif Went off Cape this weekend ran the taco in ECT in 5th gear @ 70 mph,W/AC on and got 20.1 mph on 87 octane mule piss @$ 1.97 , @86° outside temp. I'll take. that any frekkin day of the weeks my friends ! :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    B-Man likes this.