Looking at 2016-2018 Tacomas

tacoinmyfuture

Hi! I’m new here. I looking at purchasing a new or newer Tacoma and have some questions.
I saw a ‘17 TRD Pro for sale but the fog lights from what I could tell from the photos do not look like Rigid Industries.
I have a brochure I’ve been reading for reference and that’s supposed to be the standard lights on the TRD Pro. It doesn’t have any Pro or 4x4 emblem on it anywhere that I’ve seen. Just the TRD emblem on the tailgate and Toyota emblem on the door. I’ve never purchased a vehicle from a dealership so I don’t really know much about emblems. Maybe some people add them themselves. I guess I’d have to see the truck in person and check for the factory skid plate and exhaust tip and also the Fox shocks. I think those are standard but I could be wrong. I’d post the URL but I’m scared someone will swipe the truck! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Does this truck look like a legit TRD Pro?

IMG_0332.jpgIMG_0333.jpgIMG_0334.jpgIMG_0335.jpgIMG_0336.jpg

Hi! I’m new here. I looking at purchasing a new or newer Tacoma and have some questions.
I saw a ‘17 TRD Pro for sale but the fog lights from what I could tell from the photos do not look like Rigid Industries.
I have a brochure I’ve been reading for reference and that’s supposed to be the standard lights on the TRD Pro. It doesn’t have any Pro or 4x4 emblem on it anywhere that I’ve seen. Just the TRD emblem on the tailgate and Toyota emblem on the door. I’ve never purchased a vehicle from a dealership so I don’t really know much about emblems. Maybe some people add them themselves. I guess I’d have to see the truck in person and check for the factory skid plate and exhaust tip and also the Fox shocks. I think those are standard but I could be wrong. I’d post the URL but I’m scared someone will swipe the truck! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Does this truck look like a legit TRD Pro?

View attachment 15435View attachment 15436View attachment 15437View attachment 15438View attachment 15439
No. It would have a hood scoop and the rigid fog lights you’re talking about. It would also have a TRD Pro skid plate and leather seats with a TRD PRO emblem embroidery on the head head rest and a TRD shift knob and JBL upgrades for audio.
Lots of dealers don’t know what they are talking about and or trying to scam.
Get the vin number and enter it into Toyota’s web site. It will tell you what it is and what’s been done at the dealer.
https://www.toyota.com/owners/vehicle-specification
That looks like an off road with pro upgrades.
It will also have Fox shocks/suspension if it’s a true pro.

Last edited:
No. It would have a hood scoop and the rigid fog lights you’re talking about. It would also have a TRD Pro skid plate and leather seats with a TRD PRO emblem embroidery on the head head rest and a TRD shift knob and JBL upgrades for audio.
Lots of dealers don’t know what they are talking about and or trying to scam.
Get the vin number and enter it into Toyota’s web site. It will tell you what it is and what’s been done at the dealer.
https://www.toyota.com/owners/vehicle-specification
That looks like an off road with pro upgrades.
It will also have Fox shocks/suspension if it’s a true pro.
Also, the rims are wrong for a Pro (unless they've been swapped). Pro's have very similar looking wheels, but are 16s, not 17s. And the little U shape things at the end of each spoke is slightly different on the Pro Taco.

Does this truck look like a Pro

Welcome to the forum.
No, that is 100% not a Pro. It’s a TRD Off Road that someone threw a Pro Grille in.
I’d like to see the advertisement because any Toyota dealer (or car dealer worth anything) knows the Pro Grille is by far one of the most popular upgrades on the gen threes.
I would definitely call them out on it if you are wanting to buy from them still. That’s a good $10k price difference.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

I thought the rims were diff too. It was hard to tell if there’s a hood scoop. Ok, glad to have feedback. Mileage is 8,106
Price is $37,980. It’s not even at a dealership. It’s being sold by Vroom. You were right! It is an Off-road.
Thanks for link to search by VIN. [emoji1316]

I thought the rims were diff too. It was hard to tell if there’s a hood scoop. Ok, glad to have feedback. Mileage is 8,106
Price is $37,980. It’s not even at a dealership. It’s being sold by Vroom. You were right! It is an Off-road.
Thanks for link to search by VIN. [emoji1316]

That’s about $5k too high for a used TRD OR honestly. You can do better elsewhere (or you can buy a new one for the same price).
It was smart of you to do your research and ask around a little before buying. It would suck to have your excitement for your new truck messed up by finding out you got taken on a deal.

That’s about $5k too high for a used TRD OR honestly. You can do better elsewhere (or you can buy a new one for the same price).
It was smart of you to do your research and ask around a little before buying. It would suck to have your excitement for your new truck messed up by finding out you got taken on a deal.
It’s not to far off. It’s got the TRD wheels, BFG KO2 tires, premium package w/tonneau cover, so it’s got heated seat, sunroof, rear sonar, also has pro grille, predator side steps, mud flaps. If you want all that on it at retail the price is close. Trade in value on it is about 33k which is why they are asking the 37k.
Offer $33k and see what they say you might be surprised.

I have mine for sale for $36.000
Upgraded tire Bfg K02
Black pro grill
Trd air intake
Magnaflow muffler
Ditch led lights
Bed cover
Black back bumper covers
It’s a 2017 tacoma TRD off-road
It’s got 21000 miles.
IMG_2265.jpg

Truck with out the upgrades

Just seen a 2017 tacoma sr5 4×4 double cab with 20000k miles on it in new Jersey for 20k$. I said to myself, this a dream come true till I read further that it has a salvage title. Big No for me but still a steal!

I would try to haggle on the 2016 so I could add on a bed cover and be able to afford new rims/off-road tires later on. I also test drove a 2017 OF but MSRP was $42,000. It sure isnt in my budget even with haggling.

Last edited:
I would try to haggle on the 2016 so I could add on a bed cover and be able to afford new rims/off-road tires later on. I also test drive a 2017 but MSRP was $42,000. It sure that’s in my budget even with haggling.
At 42k for a 2017, it should have been a TRD Pro. A 2017 (still new) TRD Off-Road should be around 34ish. Although my dealer nearby has them at like 33. New 2018 ORs are ~36k.

I bet you can walk in to a dealer with left over 2017s and they'll make you a deal with a few extra parts thrown in to get it off their lot.

Just have to be willing to walk away if they won't deal. Make sure they have your phone number, and tell them to call you when they are ready to play ball.

Back