Looking for a Tacoma 1999-2004.

Changeling

Hi guys, I am looking for a 1999 to 2004 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4x4 Auto-trans in either Black, Silver, White in that order of preference.
I want one that is in excellent condition with low mileage (hard I know).
I would prefer to buy from an individual instead of a dealer so he/her gets the money instead of a dealer.
I will pay a finders fee to anyone who can help me find a really good one.

I just really like those 1 generation Tacoma looks, hope you understand:yes:

chook2r@hotmail.com

Last edited:
Just a suggestion, those first gens are like tanks. I don't think mileage is that big of an issue, as long as there is no rust on the frame.

Yota4life I would like to find it in Maryland but I'm looking further south like NC where they don't use so much salt on the roads.

I lost my Toyota due to rusted frame, never receive notification till it was to late !

OffroadTaco4x4, mileage always means something .

Something I forgot to add in the original posting is that the truck I'm looking for must not have a rusted frame. I'm not going through that crap any more.

Sorry for the late reply I was having a little difficulty with the sign in password.

Yota4life, Thanks, I received your messages, 1 Yota was very interesting!

However my son notified me today that he is going on his vacation from the 10th of August to the 14 of August witch leaves me without transportation whatsoever from now till August 14/15, to go look.

About the best I will be able to do is call, but I don't think people are going to want to drive to me so please keep looking for me.
I give you my word on the finders fee, and have never gone back on my word in my life and have no intention of starting!!

If you can find a black one that is loaded, with low mileage I would be a really happy guy. but the main thing is the low mileage and excellent condition witch is as it should be. I really appreciate the effort you are putting forth and won't forget it!

Email me personally about any questions if you like.

Changeling

Last edited:
Ill start looking for some more...

Thanks man, I did forget to emphasise them having NO frame rust, that is what put me in this dam situation in the first place.
People not covered are really trying to unload and hide that fact.

Take care, Changeling.

Cause I sent both and wanted to know which one was easier.

Hi Yota, I received both, the email is the easiest though. That black one in the ones you just sent seemed nice but he was way high at $13,800.00. I believe top money on Blue Book is about $10,000.00.

Take care, Changeling.

Last edited:
Like before, I don't really have one. Kelley Blue book seems about right. If something exceptional comes along I would probably go higher.

I'm expanding my search to the salt free states. If you guys have one or know of one that is exceptional, please drop me a line.

Remember there is a finders fee for hooking me up with what I'm looking for.

Changeling

Last edited:
You're right, they are hard to find. I got very lucky and just bought one yesterday, a 2004 silver 4x4 with all options (SR5+TRD) and 77k miles. Truck was mint and driver drove it in one winter only (last year) and kept it clean and everything was original. Super happy with it. Best of luck, I've been searching for awhile now for it so if I see something, I'll let you know too.

You're right, they are hard to find. I got very lucky and just bought one yesterday, a 2004 silver 4x4 with all options (SR5+TRD) and 77k miles. Truck was mint and driver drove it in one winter only (last year) and kept it clean and everything was original. Super happy with it. Best of luck, I've been searching for awhile now for it so if I see something, I'll let you know too.

Thanks, I would appreciate that very much. I am not having a lot of luck, it's been over a month. There is a guy on the forum that has found most of the ones I've looked at or talked with the owner about, but there have been major problems.

One person thought his truck with 240 K on it was in excellent shape!

Another guy would only let me come and see it at night, if I would guarantee I would buy it he would give me a daytime appointment !

One won't answer my emails, seems he is so paranoid he thinks I am a "spammer" so I had to respond through Craig's List every time we conversed (he had to wait 3 days) to give his email a chance to settle down, whatever the Hell that means.

These people just scared the Hell out of me, who knows what’s in there head! :whistling2:

I guess the main problems have been dents, mildew, things not working, out an out lying, and really high mileage all wrapped in outrageous prices.

yota

Hi Changeling. Depending on the truck ten is too low. Two pages of Craigslist specifically for the '04 yielded an average price of about ten but that included standard cabs, 2 wheel drive, no goodies, salvage title, etc. I'm selling my '04 gold kingcab with 147k on it in great shape with a host of goodies ( nerf bar, bull bar, KC driving lites, remote start, SR5 TRD Off Road package, etc. ) and I've been offered eleven twice and turned them down because I'm looking for thirteen. This is a two owner truck and the other night the original owners stopped by "thinking" about it when they saw I had it for sale. Since I bought a '10 crewcab my wife won't let me keep the goldie as a second truck. For much of anything except Toyota, Nissan, Honda, 147k is a dead truck...but for a yota it's just getting broken in!! I've owned them for the past forty years.

Hello skylinefirepest.

I respect your thoughts sir but there are some holes in your thinking.

The 1st generation trucks were some great Toyota's! I am not arguing that whatsoever.

It was/is there style/engine that is the reason so many people loved them including me!

They were not full sized trucks, gas mileage wasn't great but OK (then).
The average person that wanted a truck was really taken by the style and the fact that they did not WANT or NEED a Big pickup truck.
The engine proved to be a great one, but there are other parts in those Toyota that people forget are don't like to talk about. OH, and by the way, that great engine was changed later because it was so good! The new ones have higher gas consumption and a lot less longevity!

Then the BS started, about one could not wear out the engine and drive train! If you believe this, you're stupid! You can not alter time and wear, as much as you might want to believe it, it can't be done! Treat it right with the best oil and maintenance and it will last! But, not wear, do you really believe that, LOL?

Then we come to guys like me that like the style so much they can't help there selves, because they like the trucks looks/style! That's it!
I know dam well that maintenance will go straight up because of wear, but I am willing to pay for it because I like the body style so much!

BUT, to pay someone a ridiculous price because of BS is stupid, unless you are willing to KNOW you will basically rebuild the truck, witch you will!

Hi Change, What comment did I make that you thought was stupid?? I've owned yotas for years and never had one that had any problems whatsoever before at least a hundred thousand. My '04 has only had a starter other than regular maintenance! I'm old enough to know that parts wear out as at age 69 mine are wearing out rapidly!! I'm also willing to buy a good body and put some running parts in it if need be. A good body is worth far more than a good engine in a junker. Incidentally the gas mileage in my '10 is significantly better than in my '04. A recent trip to the beach netted over twenty two with a day's worth of stop and go beach traffic mixed in. My 'o4 only got 21 on an interstate trip to Georgia. I also agree with you that I'm not willing to pay a ridiculous price based on BS...but then I also have bought enough vehicles of all types in my lifetime to have a pretty good idea of what one should sell for. I also know that I looked for over six months to find the truck I have now and while you may find a great truck at a low price and low mileage...I don't think realistically that you will. Cheers!

I agree, Skyline. I personally searched for a year for a nice, low mileage, low price taco. The first two parts were easily found. The low price was the tough part. I got so frustrated that I went and bought a brand new F150 in 2011. Last month I realized that cheap and Tacoma are words that do not go together so I just went and bought a brand new sumbuck. Worth every penny. Unless you wanna work on it, it won't come cheap. I called on every used taco south of Illinois.

Back