LT versus P tires

bluewater

This may already have been discussed, couldn't find it using the search function.

My 2011 Tacoma came with P tires which so far have served me well...but I always worry about cutting a sidewall when driving on certain rocky "roads". Used to own a Blazer on which I used LT tires with much enjoyment, despite it not being recommended by multiple tire suppliers.

My blazer had a much softer suspension than does my Tacoma so I'm wondering if the LT tires will provide too bumpy a ride, at least on the highway, that would offset their advantages on the rougher terrain.

I've recently noticed a few older (smaller model) Tacoma's outfitted with LT tires, but I don't know what sort of suspension stiffness these vehicles have.

My Tacoma gets used to access fishing lakes, usually a 3.5 hour highway drive followed by 45 minutes of dirt road...once or twice a week for 3-4 months of the year.

Any thoughts?
JR

Sounds like you may be better off with a set of LT tires. I have P-Metric tires on my truck, but it is a mall crawler. :shifty:

I run Firestone Destination A/T's and never had any issues on or off road with them.

Mine has LT's but since I bought it from my neighbor, they had just put new tires on it a few months back, so I'm good for another 60-80k miles! The ride is good for me. Imagine the P rated tire would be a little softer, but I had those on a GMC Yukon a few years back and upgraded to the LT's to increase the load capacity.. The previous owner of my Tacoma pulled their 19' boat. Myself, I'll be pulling my 21' Searay so I'm glad they did the LT purchase!

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1424632924.148193.jpgi have LT's on my Taco and it rides nice. But I also have a Fab-tech lift which is badass in and of itself.

Sent from my iPhone,
Tacoma06

Back