Making the access cab more dog friendly.

slowpoke

So our dog likes to go for truck rides, car rides, whatever.
Nobody ever sits in the back, so why not set it up for his comfort eh?

Stocky unfolded still has a few brackets and the seatbelt ends which cant be comfy if rolled onto....So why bother?
A3NK6l.jpg

14MM later
zzrovN.jpg

Also gotta remove this upper bracket to make room for the so-called hammock because of the way I ran the straps
15x8Od.jpg

The 2 brackets on the near side were actually 1 piece held in with 2, 12MM bolts.
JlgLPa.jpg

Now things are nice and flush cept for those tiny brackets on the ends closest to the doors, but I dont see Bentley cramming himself into the corner that much, he is 100lbs.
I double plastic bagged 2 ear plugs and stuffed them into the bolt holes for the seat belt ends.

1hCRT7.jpg

Looking better?
4dFmqj.jpg

Its not centered due to the odd locations of the straps that cinch it down, but whatever.
LV0hdO.jpg

Dug still looks unsure
vJfmGO.jpg

mP9AKk.jpg

No, I dont wish I bought a double cab...............I have zero regrets, and I am NOT a fan of toting a bunch of people.

Truck is offroad long bed, 4400lbs loaded, and I get 20MPG highway with a conservative 320 RWHP.

Nice job. My dad is a retired veterinarian and always noted how there's no safe way to keep dogs in the back up an open pickup bed.
Preciate it.
Hes my therapy dug, hes in the house almost all the time, and never rides in the truck bed. Been a great 3yrs, very smart booger too.

Man that turned out great! I'd like to do something like that in my 2013 access cab but it's set up different in the back. The seats don't fold forward like that

Man that turned out great! I'd like to do something like that in my 2013 access cab but it's set up different in the back. The seats don't fold forward like that
Danka, danka.
Hmm, im sure theres something that will work. Ive seen ppl make a platform out of wood to extend the flat surface, and then pad it.

I too needed to make the rear cabin area of my 2015 access cab more dog friendly. Also the bumps and lumps in the floor make it a pain to carry anything back there.

I took a different approach. Rather than pull the seats I found a couple of Stanley plastic tool carriers to keep in the foot wells. I made sure the were the same height as the upper floor area.

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1467759343.786370.jpg
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1467759382.689331.jpg

Next I made a cardboard template of the area I wanted to cover. This was used to cut a piece of plywood. I then covered the plywood with rubber diamond plate.

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1467759517.250421.jpg

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1467759536.535164.jpg

Voila, I now have a flat rear deck that makes it easy to store, transport and keep a large dog comfortable.

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1467759642.163185.jpg

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1467759666.729753.jpg

Also super easy to remove the floor and tool carriers and throw in the bed to take on human passengers.

I too needed to make the rear cabin area of my 2015 access cab more dog friendly. Also the bumps and lumps in the floor make it a pain to carry anything back there.

I took a different approach. Rather than pull the seats I found a couple of Stanley plastic tool carriers to keep in the foot wells. I made sure the were the same height as the upper floor area.

View attachment 9452
View attachment 9453

Next I made a cardboard template of the area I wanted to cover. This was used to cut a piece of plywood. I then covered the plywood with rubber diamond plate.

View attachment 9454

View attachment 9455

Voila, I now have a flat rear deck that makes it easy to store, transport and keep a large dog comfortable.

View attachment 9456

View attachment 9457

Also super easy to remove the floor and tool carriers and throw in the bed to take on human passengers.

Very very nice!

But I didnt remove my seats either............... 2006 fold forward to create a platform.

I can take ppl, just spin 2 bolts down for the seatbelts, then 4 plastic clips to take the cover off :D

lol... I should do more reading and less looking at the pictures.

Either way it's so cramped back there, nobody is interested in sitting back there for any period of time.

Still love the access cab though.

lol... I should do more reading and less looking at the pictures.

Either way it's so cramped back there, nobody is interested in sitting back there for any period of time.

Still love the access cab though.
Yeah, there isnt much room.... last time i had 3 ppl on a 100 mile or so trip, i layed down the seats, thru a large comforter on top, put in 1 seatbelt. Then had my girl sit with her back against the door lined with 2 pillows, and run a seatbelt around her.

View attachment 9452
View attachment 9453

View attachment 9454

View attachment 9455

View attachment 9456

View attachment 9457

Question... Do you still have the dims for the plywood cutout?

when i get my taco, it will be double cab, but guaranteed my furbaby will sit shotgun... no exceptions. all others in the back. haha! [emoji23]

So our dog likes to go for truck rides, car rides, whatever.
Nobody ever sits in the back, so why not set it up for his comfort eh?

Stocky unfolded still has a few brackets and the seatbelt ends which cant be comfy if rolled onto....So why bother?
A3NK6l.jpg

14MM later
zzrovN.jpg

Also gotta remove this upper bracket to make room for the so-called hammock because of the way I ran the straps
15x8Od.jpg

The 2 brackets on the near side were actually 1 piece held in with 2, 12MM bolts.
JlgLPa.jpg

Now things are nice and flush cept for those tiny brackets on the ends closest to the doors, but I dont see Bentley cramming himself into the corner that much, he is 100lbs.
I double plastic bagged 2 ear plugs and stuffed them into the bolt holes for the seat belt ends.

1hCRT7.jpg

Looking better?
4dFmqj.jpg

Its not centered due to the odd locations of the straps that cinch it down, but whatever.
LV0hdO.jpg

Dug still looks unsure
vJfmGO.jpg

mP9AKk.jpg

No, I dont wish I bought a double cab...............I have zero regrets, and I am NOT a fan of toting a bunch of people.

Truck is offroad long bed, 4400lbs loaded, and I get 20MPG highway with a conservative 320 RWHP.
Man, that looks great! I have 19 dogs and absolutely no use for that little rear seat.

Back