Maxtrax Bed Mounting Ideas

Camren Harris

Hey guys I have stock 2016 OR. My wonderful wife got me a set of maxtrax for an early Christmas present. Trying to figure out how I wanna mount them. I don't have a bed rack yet. What have you guys done. And what was the cost?
Pics would be nice:)

Last edited:
Hey guys I have stock 2016 OR. My wonderful wife got me a set of maxtrax for an early Christmas present. Trying to figure out how I wanna mount them. I don't have a bed rack yet. What have you guys done. And what was the cost?

Best bet might be to utilize the bed rails. I’m sure you can make a DIY mount to fit there. But mounting it on a roof rack looks a lot better IMO

Quick cheap not permanent zip ties to the bed rail to stop them from bouncing around back there. I wouldn’t leave them unattended like that but when you are off-road and with the vehicle. Otherwise T-nuts and mounting bracket to be bed rail.

I've seen someone install a bed rail on the front of the bed. I think from a 2nd gen. Any ideas on where I could get a front bed rail for my 3rd gen?

You can also go to your local dealer. I’ve seen them as cheap as $33 and up to $50.

Good idea. You just have answers for everything. Your in pretty much every conversation. How many tacos have you had?
Not everything. There is a very collaborative community here and we all have our strengths. I’ve owned and worked on a lot of Toyota trucks. Didn’t get into the Tacoma until I got this one. I got into Subaru’s for a while until I got a Tundra and back into toyota trucks. Sold that 10 months ago and got my 2017 DCLB OR. I’ve always been into cars and trucks and how they work. I also like helping people so this forum is fun for me.

Well I really appreciate it! Ever since I was a kid I wanted a Tacoma cuz I always thought they were awesome. But never really learned tons about vehicles. I know Basics of maintenance and can work on them a little but I'm trying to learn so getting inputfrom guys like you is really helpful. Thanks

Well I really appreciate it! Ever since I was a kid I wanted a Tacoma cuz I always thought they were awesome. But never really learned tons about vehicles. I know Basics of maintenance and can work on them a little but I'm trying to learn so getting inputfrom guys like you is really helpful. Thanks
You’re welcome. These trucks are pretty awesome.
Everyone has to start somewhere and you don’t know until you know. I’m always learning new tricks or easier ways of doing things. Sometimes you’re going to F things up but I bet you won’t do it that way again and learn from it. Hopefully when it happens it doesn’t cost to much money.
The first time I did a head gasket and timing chain on a 22re I put the camshaft sprocket on timing mark 180 degrees wrong. Got the engine put back together and cranked it. Boom pop clank bent the valves and had to take the head back off. I had been buying parts from a local machine/parts shop. The owner was a cool guy we always BS’d when I would go in. I took the head and told him what I had done and he went back into his shop and came out with a rebuilt one and took mine. I asked how much I owed him he said “don’t worry about it everyone makes mistakes and that’s how we learn. I bet you won’t do it again.” I did a lot of business with him and learned a lot from him. I never put another camshaft sprocket on wrong again.

Custom made Maxtrax MkII mount for the 3rd gen Tacoma! They bolt into the existing bolt hole using the oem bolt and hold two Maxtrax MkII Recovery Boards. 2x and 4x Maxtrax mounts. Let me know if you're interest in one!

20191218_210105.jpg

20191218_205341.jpg

20190910_174932.jpg

20190910_175133.jpg

20190910_175149.jpg

Back