More Useless tranny and towing comments and babbling on....

ARNIE R

Today was the first leg of my journey from VA to FL. I am trailering my bike down and this is the first real trip other than testing it last week around my town.

I guess the balance between weight and aerodynamics of any vehicle play a lot into its design and its ability to handle what you throw at it.

A car runs great with one person, but sucks when you put 5 in it. Talk about sensitivity.

In VA, especially north of Richmond on I95, there a lot of small hills and dips. I realized that, so I was not really surprised at the amount of downshifting/upshifting that occurred. South of Richmond, and on I95 going south into FL, most of the interstate is fairly level, with minor up and downhill grades. I thought maybe the truck would maybe be less prone to the sporadic shifting than where I live.

Trailer and bike weigh about 2000lbs. I an sure that plays a lot into the capabilities in the design of the truck, etc.

Example - At 55mph, the RPM’s at flat level ground stand at about 1500 even. Going up a grade, they jump to 2500, then drop to 2000 and finally to 1750 and finish back at 1500. Still can’t figure out this overdrive or top gear thing yet.

This is even with the ETC on or in the “DS” position.

Back to I95 where the speed limits are 65-70 (the legal ones anyway), I had a rather difficult time ignoring the RPM’s frequenting residing in the 3000+ range - almost 3/4 of the time. This was when I was going up a very mild 1-2% grade. Maybe it is not bad for the truck, but still made me squirm a bit. (Too used to my old F350 I suppose) On the very totally flat roadways, the RPM’s wanted to remain at the lower “cruising” rate, only for brief 10-15 second time period, but kept on going up and down and back and forth for a second or two at the different RPM ranges, ie, 1900-3000+, whenever I hit a slight grade. A few 4500’s even popped up for a short jolt. I also observed that whenever a tractor trailer passed me, as soon as the front of his truck was even with mine, the Taco would downshift like the wind resistance was kicking in. That’s where this delicate balance of weight and aerodynamics come into play, as it seems the transmission reacts much like a kite in the wind, where even the slightest change of circumstances that occur produce a reaction.

I had to keep my speed at about 62mph to keep everything in the preferred “middle zone”.

Anywho, just my babbling off for the day and I hope no one fell asleep while reading it, although you were better off - haha!

Of course, if I am doing anything wrong, or it is just the nature of the beast, feel free to chime in, but as usual, no bickering!

PS - I typed this on my iPad in the motel room, so please forgive any mistakes in my grammar.

PSS - I still like my truck.......

I has the Sam issue last week while running around with a butt full of top soil. I did as OR17TRD suggested above and did a lot of my own shifting with the ECT off. Takes a lot of the surprise out if the drive.

The ECT is designed to hold higher RPMs while towing.

I did try various combos of on/off, with and without each other, etc. I’ll have to get used to the difference that I was used to - after all, these round trips to and from VA and FL are only 3-4 a year to deal with parental medical issues that crop up from time to time.

I still think sometimes that even if I have it in the DS mode on 4, I sense more than 3 upward shifts. Is the “overdrive” function considered part of the 6 speed trans count, or something entirely different no matter what gear nbr you happen to have the DS mode in?

Man, So tiredof reading about this Auto trans shifting mystery everywhere, I want a TACO next year but having second thoughts

Man, So tiredof reading about this Auto trans shifting mystery everywhere, I want a TACO next year but having second thoughts
I wouldn't let that change youre mind, from what ive heard other manufactures are having way worse problems.

+1 for 3 pedals...
[emoji23]
Srry...
Had to...

Frealdoe... look into OV Tune...
Gives it the umph down low that is lacking from the factory... the autos have a gear lock tune that would sort of resemble a manual trans... when you let it grunt it will actually pull itself up some decent hills... but 6th gear is almost useless in the autos unless you live at low elevation and flat terrain... lol

ECU learning. Don’t let the transmission complaints steer ya away from a Taco. Toyota made the third gens to shift at a lower shift point. That along with the Otto/Atkinson 3.5 makes some unusual shift patterns to get used to.
The ECU will “learn” to shift with your driving style, as any modern vehicle does.
So drive the truck like you want it to run.

+1 for 3 pedals...
[emoji23]
Srry...
Had to...

Frealdoe... look into OV Tune...
Gives it the umph down low that is lacking from the factory... the autos have a gear lock tune that would sort of resemble a manual trans... when you let it grunt it will actually pull itself up some decent hills... but 6th gear is almost useless in the autos unless you live at low elevation and flat terrain... lol

Don’t make fun of the handicapped trannys. Lol.

IMG_1909.jpg

Back