Motor Oil choices

silverT

My introduction
When it come's to Oil , I'm kinda from the days of Old School , In the 70's - 80's simply put , you could change oil every 1000 miles if you were a car-nut . Since oil viscosity broke down fast it really was not too much .
Back then oil would drip off the dip stick like water when you checked it .
Mobil One came out but was a thin viscosity at 5w20 & not the best since some motors of 80's
did not have close tolerances as now ( a great oil in Alaska back then )
Amsoil could go the distance & since it was a 10 w 40 synthetic worked well & not cultural shock as back then
5 w 20 was a hard sell for us motor heads
By late 80's to 90 's Mobil One started to offer more and more viscosity choices that worked well with any motor - I found synthetic superior if for one reason - - Zero and below oil would not be thick & flowed to critical areas fast .
Well it's 2017 and choice of Oil's are not less & even more confusing .For honorable mention conventional oil's
in the year 2017 are light years ahead my Old School day's .
I was in wall-mart last night - choices from Mobil One is confusing
0w30 that works with motors requiring 5w30 to 10w30 .
High mileage 5w30 not to forget standard Mobile one 5w30 all around $25 for 5 quarts .
also for $50 Mobil one offers a one year or 20,000 mile oil with some stipulation's
Valvoline or pennzoil 5w30 at $22 are fine oils
Casroil has always been a great oil & also is a part of the confusion .
Purple another choice .

Can some members express what they use and have good luck with ?

Last edited:
Oil threads get real interesting on motorcycle forums but here is my ¢.02 I have been using farm and fleet dino oil 20 years 1995 taco had over 300k on it ran like a champ! Same with my brides 2004 crv and currently using in 2008 taco and 2014 crv. I change vehicles only when rust starts to rear its ugly head. My findings just change at the correct interval and all is well! I use rotella diesel oil in 2008 Suzuki vstrom!

dino oil must be a company I missed .
---------------------------------------------------------
I do believe some application uses can benefit from different oil's Like i'm in the north
and when winter hits and it's like 10 below zero or even Zero . I never regret having did that synthetic oil change in November
cause you feel the result .
Still just consistent oil changes with factory recommended viscosity from a dollar store would be all that's needed .
Since wall-mart is paving the way , for some time now - Synthetic oil per 5 qt container starts at $20 up to $25 conventional is around $19 give or take
Chain stores that deal only with auto's try to sell Synthetic starting at a low of $38 per 5 qt container for same oil - So it's a no-brainer .
Wall-mart is the place.
Synthetic oil is what I use for autos that I can feel the difference .
Some cars are like what ever I might use a blend or whats on sale , like for my old ford Ranger . ( I do my dirty work with that old truck)
oil changes from 3000 to 4000 miles & Synthetic oil I like best cause some times life gets busy and a delayed oil change can happen & once more I like knowing Synthetic was my choice cause it offers the reserve of lasting longer in a pinch

I'm a simple minded type of guy my spelling, reading comprehension and grammar are way lacking, but I have read many oil theories over the years and there is no winning formula of debating oil at the end of the day its all about preventative maintenance and intervals. Yes I hear top end noise during sub zero weather start ups and never have had a issues with any engine work except the historic general motors head gasket issues.

My spelling, grammar and such is lacking big - I use the spell check a lot & I noticed forums can be a huge help in re-teaching what may of lacked in my younger school days . Comprehension is tricky for me , it's more a delayed reaction .
So some times I just listen & wait for it to sink in .

I like using synthetic from November till May
then conventional till the following November
but I will change the conventional each 3000 wheres
synthetic 6 to 7 months no real concern of mileage.
If I was to say what's better , I feel synthetic , particular since now they have synthetic
to match all viscosity's , even a 20 w 50 if you have an old school Rod and you still get low-temperature flow characteristics

You know thats when most wear occurs - - at start up - - so it's important
But if you live in a warm climate it all feels the same
The flash point is higher with synthetic so if you live in Arizona thats another argument for another time .

Now a days cars utilize the automatic motor on off , MPG saving system
They require synthetic , I figure mostly because
When you want to know 100%
That the oil will flow fast
synthetic at 0 w 30 will flow fast .

Back