Need brakes

jdr3366

I'm this close to needing new disc breaks, according to the dealer. 55,000 miles on the 2017 sport.

I think this is a bit soon to do a brake job, but regardless, I'm having the job done. As recommended by the dealer, I'm going to replace them and make adjustments to the rear to sync the braking. There's something else they are doing to the brakes, but I can't think of it now.

Question is, should I go with OEM or high performance brakes? I drive highway and city, almost no off-road. I've always felt stopping distance is a bit long. But have no data on this.

I just want the best brakes considering the profile given above.

Recommendations are appreciated.

I tried a few setups (EBC rotors and pads, Brembo blank rotors with Hawk Ceramic pads and finally Hawk 5.0 pads) with my Tacoma and didn't get anywhere except with the Hawk 5.0 pads. It seems like I always warped aftermarket but never OEM. If you decide on aftermarket stick with a slotted type and Hawk pads. Also bed in the pads properly.

The rear drums auto adjust to shoe wear but I bet they look new. There's no real upgrade for the rear.

Last edited:
I put slotted and crossed drilled with the ceramic low dust pads on front of my '16 sport huge difference,especially from 30 -0 stop and I'm a drive to the stopsign and hit the brakes driver. Drives my wife bonkers . But it's how I roll . I got them on eBay out of a brake place in N.Y. had the same ones on my
' 03.tundra for 13 years and they are still on it cuz I see the new owner around town a bit .

You got 55000 miles out of your stock brakes. Do yourself a favor stick with stock. You won’t ever get that many miles out of aftermarket brakes. I’m 55 and owned Toyota trucks all my life and found using OEM parts is a little more expensive at first but you save over the long term.

Now you tell me. :)

I have noticed more dust, as a matter of fact. It's not a deal breaker, but I'm hoping this will decrease over time.

Now you tell me. :)

I have noticed more dust, as a matter of fact. It's not a deal breaker, but I'm hoping this will decrease over time.
Sorry but it won't decrease over time if you have OEM pads, every car I ever had with semi metallic pads I always replace with ceramic pads.

Back