Need help with start prob

willybob

Hi all. Just joined. Should have joined a long time ago. I was hoping to find help re 98 Tacoma with 2.7 losing all electrical intermittently. It runs fine but sometimes after it's parked I return to find it completely dead when I turn the key to start. No lights, no dash, no starter motor click. Nothing.The clutch interrupt is out of the picture and I bench tested the starter, which was fine. When this happens I fiddle with the key, the steering column lock, battery terminals, hammer to the starter, then for no known reason it comes back. Interestingly, When it does come back, my radio has lost all its programming. The battery cranks strong absent the issue. I switched with my Nissan battery when it first occurred but still no start. After I bench tested the battery and re installed it started but has since happened again twice since.

If anyone has any experience with this diabolical sorcery I would love to hear your thought. . Thanks in advance for any ideas. Will.

Hi all. Just joined. Should have joined a long time ago. I was hoping to find help re 98 Tacoma with 2.7 losing all electrical intermittently. It runs fine but sometimes after it's parked I return to find it completely dead when I turn the key to start. No lights, no dash, no starter motor click. Nothing.The clutch interrupt is out of the picture and I bench tested the starter, which was fine. When this happens I fiddle with the key, the steering column lock, battery terminals, hammer to the starter, then for no known reason it comes back. Interestingly, When it does come back, my radio has lost all its programming. The battery cranks strong absent the issue. I switched with my Nissan battery when it first occurred but still no start. After I bench tested the battery and re installed it started but has since happened again twice since.

If anyone has any experience with this diabolical sorcery I would love to hear your thought. . Thanks in advance for any ideas. Will.
Not sure where you're at with this but I'd start at the battery terminals checking connections. Most likely a corroded ground somewhere that just needs to be taken off and scuffed up.

Power steering fluid? Seriously!

Crawdad. Yeah terminals are good. I switched to another batt and still had the problem. I'm checking ground next. Starter bench tested fine. Thank for your input.

Crawdad. Yeah terminals are good. I switched to another batt and still had the problem. I'm checking ground next. Starter bench tested fine. Thank for your input.
I meant start there and work your way out, like the cables going in/ out of the fuse box and such.

Yeah. I'm not an electrical guy so it's a steep learning curve for me. I'm going to buy a Power Probe III and start down that path. Thanks.

P.S.
Power steering fluid.

I meant start there and work your way out, like the cables going in/ out of the fuse box and such.
That's where I would start also then just work your way through checking grounds and such.. don't bother with the power steering fluid though lol

Back