New from Western Canada

B.C.

Hello, my name is Martin.
Joined this site in hopes of getting an education on Tacoma trucks. I'll start with a confession, I have never owned a pickup truck that wasn't a domestic brand, but have had GMC, Ford, and Dodge/Ram. Reality is I need a pickup, not a car, but not necessarily a full size pickup. I haul stuff very frequently, heck sometimes I don't even unload my dirt bike except for rides, put it back in the truck and leave it there for the next ride, because I ride so frequently. I haul some building supplies, maybe furniture, dirt, garbage dump runs, or what have you...but rarely does it exceed 1000 pounds. I also tow frequently, but not extremely long trips, maybe a few hours each way at most, and again nothing so heavy that I need a big truck. My boat is 5400 pounds including trailer, my snowmobile trailer with sleds is only 3900. So it seems that a Tacoma should do what I need it to. Thanks for having me, and I look forward to learning more, and will try not to ask too many stupid questions.

Welcome Martin! Lots of info available here at the Forum. I have learned so much in the short time since i joined. You'll love the site and you will be very impressed with the fine folks you will meet. I also think you will be pleased with all that you hear about Tacomas and how the truck will meet most if not all your needs. Nice to have on board.

Thanks guys, been doing some reading on here. Great place, and nice to see that even the problems that seem to be discussed are not catastrophic, just things to keep an eye on, and fix as required. All vehicles have issues, but talking about them, so people are aware, and finding solutions is ideal. What I won't ever do is buy another Ford with an EcoBoost engine. Sure they all have issues, but those are catastrophic, and happen frequently. Didn't expect to blow up and engine in my lifetime, much less 3 in 2 years, and the truck was in the shop many months of that 2 years.

Hey Martin, towing 3900 is no problem if you got the V6. I bought a new vette this summer and towed it back in an enclosed trailer. Close to 7000lbs, Taco is rated to 6800lbs so right at the max. Would not recommend doing this on a regular basis, but it can do it. BC is nice, I'm in the Greater Toronto Area.

Hey Martin, towing 3900 is no problem if you got the V6. I bought a new vette this summer and towed it back in an enclosed trailer. Close to 7000lbs, Taco is rated to 6800lbs so right at the max. Would not recommend doing this on a regular basis, but it can do it. BC is nice, I'm in the Greater Toronto Area.

If my boat is full of gas and including the trailer to, its 5400 lbs, sleds and trailer is 3900 with extra gas cans in it etc. I used to pull a travel trailer that was over 9000 but sold it.
I would definitely get the V6, it will weird enough for me not driving a V8, I haven't had anything less than V8 in my life with the exception of a straight 6 diesel, except for the Ford EcoBoost i had that wouldn't run longer than a month or two without breaking down, or blowing up.

I hear you. I like V8's myself, but these newer small engines really produce horsepower. They have come along way. Remember the 5.0L mustang in the 80's, people thought it was crazy they had 225HP, that was a lot back then. Camaro's were similar.

I hear you. I like V8's myself, but these newer small engines really produce horsepower. They have come along way. Remember the 5.0L mustang in the 80's, people thought it was crazy they had 225HP, that was a lot back then. Camaro's were similar.

I'm a bit old school, so baby steps for me. Going to a V6 from a V8 is a step for me...maybe in another 25 years I will be okay with a 4 cylinder.

Yup, it is, nothing like a V8. I have a corvette and love the American V8. Unfortunately I can see in the next 10-20 years V8's will probably be reserved for luxury and high end vehicles.

Back