New guy already getting into driveline vibration scene

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kell2012, Sep 8, 2017.

1. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Hard to determine(growls/rumbles/vibes) without seeing/hearing/physically being with truck but a couple things to consider (especially with Tacomas) If lifted, you've just changed the relation of pinion flange on rear diff. with driveshaft orientation from the carrier bearing back down to said pinion flange, this will cause vibrations &/or grumbling growls, if a new leafpack causes this, I'd think it's only because you've gotten some lift with it too, BUT ! Most the vibes I ever encountered from the Tacomas I've lifted (1st & 2nd/3rd gens) was a result of more than 2.5" lift & most were lifted to 3" with no vibes at all, so some do get them, most didn't, In ny event the condition is usually rectified by bringing the driveline back into parallel (+/-) by way of carrier bearing drop or shimming the rear leafs at the spring perch of rear axle...

kell2012 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    kell2012

kell2012 Active Member

Thank you. You are well beyond correct. Persistent, cool, calm, collected. The only way to fly.

4. OP
    kell2012

kell2012 Active Member

Thank you, 4wd. Very valuable information. I am checking with my guys; believe they've never done a thing to the springs. Rear shock replacement, yes.

5. OP
    kell2012

kell2012 Active Member

4wd, your info and other I've read lead me to speculate that Toyota will say I don't have enough difference in angle from the norm, that there's no TSB/warranty-covered work they'll do. Or they could say my symptoms are from an entirely different cause. At any rate, I'll begin to know something when I take the truck in on Wednesday. Wish me luck!

6. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Hey your welcome & def good luck with dealer but let's put this aside a minute, if I'm understanding right , you've gotten the spring TSB or no ?? Re-read , you've changed shocks but not springs, truck is stock height ? If any of this is correct, first CHECK YOUR UBOLTS !! Literally every 2nd gen I've put a wrench to has extremely loose Ubolts (of all things) The FSM has stated that a torque value of 37ftlbs is enough,,, well anyone who knows me from another forum will tell you that I think thats absolute bullshit !! As I'll provide an example shortly....Only reason I bring it up is because it too can cause vibes/noise/other things we dont want to hear...Also if your driveshaft has been removed for nany reason I cannot stress enough to mark the flange/nut/bolt relation BEFORE its removed so the shaft is replaced in the original location so harmonic balance & sync is restored ( I forget the exact terminology ) From the first day that truck rolled off the assembly line it has had a constant ,pre-determined rotation while in operation , translation : It's been being twisted by the power & torque applied to it via accelerator, & from here it falls into physics/engineeracle/mechanics that just makes my head hurt right now haha...hope some of this makes sense

It IS that noisy damned Banks whip.....:D

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  7. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

As promised....

kell2012, Bogunn and whippersnapper02 like this.
  8. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

What the hell is going on man? How have you been?

4wd likes this.
  9. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Hey another day above ground ,,, sucking air bro.... haha meh , been better & sure as hell been worse, finally back inn a 1st gen tho' so lifes ok

10. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Plus TW has disowned me & TTORA's afraid I'll take over haha

11. whippersnapper02

I didn't know you were away from your Tacoma. Good to hear you are doing alright though. @Bojangles was looking for you.

I'm still here. Still trying to polish a turd but never seem to get it right.

Bojangles likes this.
  12. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Man, you don't know me at all... haha but thanks for the kind words dude

kell2012 likes this.
  13. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Haha , well it's my own fault or rather things were beyond my control & theres a couple guys on TW that I unintintionally "burned" (I use it loosely) But I'll make it right , I was homeless for about a year on the streets & was living out of a saturn , but at least now I have a truck & trailer (you can say it, "trailer trash" haha) so at least it's a roof for now & started working a little & I know they think I'm a POS & I accept that but they'll be surprised when they get something out of the blue , & it'll happen & thats all I'll say about that , I DO feel like shit about it tho' , I truly do..

14. OP
    kell2012

kell2012 Active Member

Thanks much 4wd

No mods. A couple years ago rear shocks went and my guy replaced with monroes. No leaf change or work. We were right up against a short tow trip and no time to order heavy duty. I mean no mods. For someone like me snow tires/steel wheels is a mod.

Have I mentioned i pull a popup camper ? Symptoms showed up nearly a year after annual 900 mile round trip. Just before this year's. Went to my guy before leaving. To make sure this wasn't dangerous.

He's the kinda guy who would hear loose ubolts from a mile. And not long before symptoms he did front brakes. But no one is perfect so who knows.

He drove it and recognized symptoms. Gave me TSB.
    If he ever touched drive shaft I'd know. The dealer has never said anything about it. They did emissions recall that involved replacing rear exhaust but i doubt anything about shaft was involved.

Two piece shaft i believe. Gonna call my guy today however re ubolts. If he has doubts I'll have him check bolts before going to dealer. I don't have torque wrench or driver at this point.

Thanks again!

15. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

No worries , I'm here to help /share knowledge, & to learn & absorb what I don't know from you guys so it's a win-win in my book.. Ok NOW we're getting somewhere (maybe) I'd be reluctant to tow anything with stock Tacoma rear suspension , because IMO ( nothing more) & because of the too soft susp. I've found it down right dangerous in far too many conditions that for other comparable trucks would be no issue, & I forgot to mention the famous 'Taco axlewrap, are you familiar with this condition ?

kell2012 likes this.
  16. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

And you know,,, some of my statements/observations really sound like 'taco bashing , but it's not, at the end of the day we as 'yota owners realize tho' trucks not perfect, can't really see driving anything else, unless pulling a huge trailer, I pull a 3300lb trailer with a 3400 lb truck (nothing I'd advise) But I've rebuilt my leafs to a strong 3/4 ton & although that trailer can slap me around like a pinata (because of weight) the trucks never felt unsafe/unstable in corners /dips/off camber corners ,etc while towing..

Bogunn and kell2012 like this.
  17. OP
    kell2012

kell2012 Active Member

At dealership now enjoying wait
    Youngest tech possible who's never seen the symptoms or heard of applicable tsbs

He drove alone then had me drive with him shotgun
    Doesn't even know if truck has 2-piece drive shaft
    Has no point of reference for change in sound or small wheel n seat vibration which HAS KICKED IN OVER PAST COUPLE DSYS

OR17TRD and whippersnapper02 like this.
  18. OP
    kell2012

kell2012 Active Member

Allow me to sum up this dealership:
    Asst service mgr did my intake

No, drivetrain warranty is FIFTY Thousand/5 years

Nope (politely)

I'll check on that

OR17TRD and whippersnapper02 like this.
  19. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

o_O

20. whippersnapper02

Sounds like my awesome dealer.

kell2012 likes this.
  21. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

I'm glad I found one that knows their Tacomahead from thier Priusass.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Bogunn and kell2012 like this.