New guy here. Ready to buy a 2013 TRD

Quarterhorsepower

Just sold my beloved GMC Duramax.. Since the price of diesel is now about $1 higher than regular, I felt it was time to say goodbye to my 2008 GMC.. Now, I' just hope they don't do a body change on the Tacoma next year. I still have yet to place my "order" at the local dealer but I can't get a real answer out of them as to the fate of the '13 body over the coming '14.. My other gripe is, I have to order the TRD "Sport" to get the Nav/JBL system and they only offer the "Homelink" in the "Limited" model. I was just about ready to buy the "Limited" that is on the showroom floor, until I discovered the cheezy "simulated Chrome" wheels. Chrome plated PLASTIC! I bought my wife a new Lincoln MKX last December that came with "Chrome Clad" wheels. (Plastic). I have no idea why these automakers are cutting corners in the wrong places! Just touch a curb and you have to replace the whole wheel! You can't just buy the plastic cover! On the Lincoln, it's about $1200 per wheel! Needless to say, I'm going with the TRD Sport just to get the radio upgrade. (hate the nonfunctional hood scoop). Anyone kinow if this dealer is just feeding me a line about no homelink on the TRD and having to buy the Sport to get the upgrade radio?:whistling2:

Yeah it looks like you need a to get a TRD package to get the navigation. Every thought about installing your own?

Last edited:
As far as the Nav is concerned, I really want the JBL upgraded sound system. The Nav is just an added perk that comes along. You can only get the XM Satellite with the JBL system too. As far as adding one myself, most "non factory" systems look like add on's. It's a $2,000 upgrade, but it sounds great and where I live, the only place that could offer an aftermarket upgrade would be "Best Buy". The Geek Squad will never touch anything I own..
I opted for the THX 650 Watt system in the wife's Lincoln MKX and it sounds great.. I assume the JBL System that Toyota will sound about as good.. (hopefully).
:thumbsup:

I have a 2010 double cab with JBL. No navi that year. The stereo sounds pretty good but it can be better. The tweeter/midranges easily find their limits.

There are some aftermarket systems like like like stock. Otonavi and Rosen make factory looking stereos but the Otonavi unit is junk.

whippersnapper02.. Just checked out your pictures of all your upgrades. Sharp looking truck. I just finished a flaming letter to the Toyota Dealer in Medford Oregon. (Lithia). Looks like Ill be dealing with a different dealer as these guys don't like to follow up on any possible deal. My youngest son bought a black TRD Sport from them last December. I tried to get another one of my son's a Scion Xb 2 weeks ago and they couldn't be bothered, so i went to the "little guy" here in town that isn't a part of a big corp of dealerships. Got $1,000 off on a remaining 2012 Xb and the kid is quite happy. Lithia still has no clue I even bought, as their only "so called" internet salesman was on vacation last week. They are about to loose another sale really quick.. Business must really be good in this lousy economy to turn away a cash customer!

Thanks for the compliment.

I ran into that attitude a few times while car shopping. Cash talks and bs walks. I'm not sure what the problem is if you are a serious buyer. It probably happens a lot at the bigger dealerships where they are already "successful" so they brush everyone off. Just remember that you hold the money and make them do what you want. Good luck man.

I'd do the TRD off road skip the navi and Jbl. Then go aftermarket for the navi and add a powered sub and you'll be ahead of the game and have better stuff

Welcome from GA. If you don't like the scoop plenty of members do and would be willing to trade. At least over on TacomaWorld.

Of course it's "skewp" over there.

I love my skewp...it's worth it's weight in gold!!!

OP, make sure you check out the TRD Packages. There's a lot more to each one than meets the eye. Going from a full size, you prob want a 6' bed over the 5'. The double cab, with the 6' bed only comes as a Sport (not off road). While I really liked the features of the TRD OffRoad on my 2011, the 5ft bed killed it for me...so I went Sport.

The seats alone are worth the upgrade to TRD. Soo much more comfortable.

Welcome From Southern Oregon! I feel you man Lithia sucks if you live down here true "Wheeler Toyota" in Grants Pass. They're easier to deal with if you get the right guy.

P.S. If your interested we trying to get local meets and mod days going. Could use all the help we can get:whistling2:

I would try the smaller dealerships lithia is just a corporate pain in the butt

I think the real goal is to go for one extreme or the other....smaller dealerships would just want to make he sale so they're willing to work with you...on the other hand large, dealerships owned by larger corporations would deal more in volume, again, willing to offer a good deal...

It's the in between you have to worry about. Large local dealerships. They're large enough that they know they have the best selection, but not soo large that they deal in volume...

At the end of the day, you're prob better going to a huge dealership and dealing with their online department. A simple phone call to them and you're gonna get a better deal than an hour of negotiations.

OP, aftermarket wheels are thing to consider if you are worried about replacing 1200 wheels. I bought my 6 method wheels brand new for just a hair over that total. And you can get great wheels even cheaper. I wouldn't let wheels determine a purchase personally. good luck in your hunt!

Well, my search is narrowed down to the color.. Barcelona Red or Magnetic Grey Mica..
2013 TRD Sport Double Cab Longbed with JBL/Nav, Tow Pkg...
Depending on which dealer really wants my business will come down to who has the best price. I'm totally not loyal to the big corporate dealer, but if they can beat the other guy by even $100, I'll buy it there. Looks like the best deal on a zero ded 8 year, 125k bumper to bumper Toyota Platinum warranty is $1600 on line.. (I'm still looking for a better deal on that) The local guys want over $2,000 for it.. So, I'm not in a hurry, but if I wait much longer, I'll sit out the summer and get a 2014 which I see will have a slight body change and about 15%+ better mileage.. (Google has been my friend on this)

MSRP on the one I want is $34,885.. Dealer "claims" invoice is $32,877 and will sell for $33,277.. Ehhh. Invoice still isn't what they actually have in the truck. I'm going to hold with a firm sales price of $32,000 CASH.. "If" they really want my business, they will take it. It will be a NO B.S. sale. No qualifying. Just take my "local" check and give me my truck.. Still waiting for my Duramax to be picked up. It's been paid for, (funds have been wired to my bank) but I want it out of my garage before I commit to another truck. The guy that bought it is out of state and is flying in to drive it back..
AND THEN, I will be in the buying mood and I have no doubt, they will not let me walk over a few hundred bucks. (I know that Invoice and actual cost are two different animals).. At Invoice, they will STILL be making a profit..

So Far.. This is the best deal yet to buy the Toyota Platinum Zero Deduct 8 year 125k mile warranty..
Elmore Toyota.. Westminister Calif
EXTENDED WARRANTY: 888-879-6599
Extended Warranty Plan Details
Coverage: Platinum
Coverage Terms: 8 Years / 125,000 Miles
Deductible: $0.00

Vehicle Information
Vehicle Year: 2013
Vehicle Model: Tacoma 4WD
Vehicle Mileage: 11
Pricing Details

PRICE: $1460