New Guy, No Taco Yet, Looking for Competent Dealer!

jasonvp

Hey gang -

I'm in the Northern VA area, and am interested in down-sizing my big GMC 2500HD as I never use the beast's capacity for... anything. I've owned 2 Tacos in the past, and have always appreciated the fact that A)they're still available with manual transmissions, and B)they're of a decent size. Not too big, but not too small either.

The challenge I'm running into here in the Northern VA area is: finding a dealership that's willing to pull a special order for me. The Taco I want doesn't exist anywhere, because it's a combination of options that Toyota won't normally allow. Specifically:

• Access cab with manual, V6 (7553)
  • TRD Off-Road (OC)
  • Entune w/Navigation (EE)
  • Tow package (TW)
The access cab seems to be the trouble maker. I can get the Quad Cab with those options, but I'm not interested in the bigger cab and smaller bed. I like the dimensions of the access cab instead.

I understand through another Tacoma forum that if the dealer pulls a "Boss Change," he can get those options combined. But I'm having a hell of a time finding one that'll do it.

I have no problems doing business with an out-of-state dealer, and having the truck DX'd or delivered through a local one. Do folks have dealerships they like and have dealt with over the phone?

Thanks!

Welcome.

Toyota has weird restrictions with their options. For instance, no manual long bed. I believe Entune and manual are a no go as well. No dealer will get you this truck because it is a restriction at the factory not the dealer. You can try calling Toyota corporate.

Good luck then. The days of the customer getting specific options are long gone unless you are spending big bucks.

Last edited:
Not sure if this will help or not, but I ordered mine through a broker, and got the exact options I wanted. Maybe a broker may have more influence.

I actually just found a dealer down near the Winston-Salem area of NC that was able to assemble the exact truck I wanted. It'd be a 2-4 month order, and I'm OK with that. So if I actually want to pull the trigger, I'll buy it from that dealership, given the local ones are still incompetent.

The order has been placed:

• V6 4x4 manual transmission access cab
  • TRD Off-road
  • Off-road towing package
  • Nav system
  • Magnetic grey with graphite interior
And now to sell my current truck...

Does he have the diesel version?

• 2005 GMC 2500HD
  • Crew cab w/SLT option package
  • 4x4
  • Duramax diesel with 5-speed Allison transmission
  • Aftermarket Kenwood DNX9140 stereo/nav system

~24000 miles.

It's not on the market yet because we're still due some snow this winter. My primary car (Corvette ZR1) doesn't do so well in the snow. :)

Hey Jason, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Tacoma. I hope all goes as promised. Northern Virginia is represented once again.

Back