New guy ready to pull the trigger on a...

sumncguy

2013 2.7l 4X4 access cab sr5 4 speed auto.

I am coming off a 2012 RAM 1500 4X2 Express.

Curious about the gas mileage on the 2.7 4x4 access cabs. I cant see where it can be anywhere near the 10-13 city and 17-20 Highway I got with the Ram. Forget it I hit it .. sucked it down quick ..

So .. Id like to hear from the 2012/13 4 cyl 4x4 access cab guys ...

ps. I think the 4:10s are the real issue. Toyota needs to swap them out for 3.92s which is plenty good for the average joe.

Tks for the feedback.
Chris

Welcome. Most people would complain about the lack of power with a taller rear end ratio so Toyota chooses something that will leave some power to make the truck move.

I believe the 4 banger auto guys get about 24mpg. I would check Fulley fueleconomy.gov for real world MPG figure. It won't be over 30.

I have the same truck but it is a five speed. Highway I get 22-24. 19 in town. 16 towing my 1800 pound boat. Mine has 265/75/16 at tires too.

Plus I think that the 4.10 gear is to tall. Could be due to the standard and I tow a boat 4 days a week.

19 / 22-24 is respectable. A few more miles per gallon and about 20 bucks less to fill up ... lower monthly payment ... Lifetime Drivetrain warranty from Mark Jacobson Toyota of Durham, NC ... Daughter starting to drive (Dad I need gas money)... Yeah .. I think its a smart move.

Well, are you looking at 5-lug or 6-lug (PreRunner)? I believe the PreRunner will give you less mileage per gallon, but will last you longer with upgraded suspension components. PreRunner, you're looking at the low 20's and 5-lug, you're looking closer to mid 20's. Normally I'd say to get the V6 if youre going for the Access Cab. The engine will have more power that youre used to from the ram, and because its the lightest body style you can get, youll get better gas mileage than the rest of us...

I have a Double Cab, Long Bed with all terrain tires and still average 19MPG. I see many people with the v6 that get around the same or 1-2 MPG less than the guys with the 4cyl. Say you drive 12,000 Miles a year, that's only like $100 more in fuel, or $2 per week. $2 per week is worth the better resale value and more power on demand to me...

Ok the new 6 lug 4x4 Ext 2.7 is sitting in the driveway. Got to get used to the 4cyl .. lots of down shifting ... ok on the highway .... I already put 200 miles on it .. ate up 1/2 of the gas.

WorthyOpp mentions resale .. I bought the 2012 Ram 4x2 Hemi Crew cab last May for 25k. The salesperson left the Autotrader results that the sales manager grabbed while we were talking the deal. I got 20 for the truck, but book was 18,598 with 28k miles on it. Thats a serious depreciation factor.

But the real reason I went "small" is that the camper is gone, I dont tow often and will only need to pull a 5x10 flatbed with either my Wing or VTX on it, and I have my oldest girl has just started driving (Daddy I need gas - tires etc etc etc (notice the 4 etc)).

I do need a little room and will be looking into the Smart Bin bed mount ...

Dont think Ill be doing any mods except maybe the drop in K+N which from what Ive been ready may give me a few more mpg's.

Ok the new 6 lug 4x4 Ext 2.7 is sitting in the driveway. Got to get used to the 4cyl .. lots of down shifting ... ok on the highway .... I already put 200 miles on it .. ate up 1/2 of the gas.

WorthyOpp mentions resale .. I bought the 2012 Ram 4x2 Hemi Crew cab last May for 25k. The salesperson left the Autotrader results that the sales manager grabbed while we were talking the deal. I got 20 for the truck, but book was 18,598 with 28k miles on it. Thats a serious depreciation factor.

But the real reason I went "small" is that the camper is gone, I dont tow often and will only need to pull a 5x10 flatbed with either my Wing or VTX on it, and I have my oldest girl has just started driving (Daddy I need gas - tires etc etc etc (notice the 4 etc)).

I do need a little room and will be looking into the Smart Bin bed mount ...

Dont think Ill be doing any mods except maybe the drop in K+N which from what Ive been ready may give me a few more mpg's.

Congrats on the new rig man, post up some pics.

Yeah I have to take a few shots. Nothing really exciting though.

I did think about the Smart Bin ... I picked one up at Wallys world for $48. Im really not to concerned with "them" stealing anything out of it.. lets face it, if they want it they will get it. And I wont keep anything really valuable in there anyway.

The chest was in the back of the pickup when I drove home from Walmart and didnt move around much at all. For me, the object is to keep it in place.

So heres how Im going to mount it. I bought 2" wide aluminum strips (as a side note, Home Depot really loves them). Im gonna back out the forward most bolts on the bed deck, drill a hole in one end of the aluminum strip, put the bed bolt through it and tighten. Place the chest, Mark the aluminum strip, use a straight edge to 90 degree the aluminum, drill two holes in the upper side of the "el" and in the side of the chest. Bolt the chest up using wings nuts and rubber back washers for easy removal. Will paint the aluminum flat black. This way, the chest wont move around and I dont have to drill holes in the bed.

Although I already bought the aluminum, I want to hit Fastenal in the morning. Those guys are wizards and may have something that works better.

Back