New Member, looking for advice

Mikelly62

I have a 2009 TRD. My truck makes this whining/whirring sound when I let off the gas. I can't really pinpoint exactly where it is coming from, could be the transmission or the differential. More noticeable at higher speeds. I did some googling and most things point to problems in the rear differential. I can't say how long it has been going on and whether it's always been there or not, but I don't think it has always done that. On a whim I changed the diff fluid, took it for a drive and the noise is still there. Anyone out there have experience with this?

Thanks,
Mike

I have a 2009 TRD. My truck makes this whining/whirring sound when I let off the gas. I can't really pinpoint exactly where it is coming from, could be the transmission or the differential. More noticeable at higher speeds. I did some googling and most things point to problems in the rear differential. I can't say how long it has been going on and whether it's always been there or not, but I don't think it has always done that. On a whim I changed the diff fluid, took it for a drive and the noise is still there. Anyone out there have experience with this?

Thanks,
Mike
Welcome to the forum!
Can you make that noise again? Haha
I've fairly recently had u-joint and carrier bearing issues but, I don't think that's very normal.
The front wheel bearings on my 2010 made funny noises around ~100k and ~120k. May be worth checking out... had a tail shaft bearing on the trans go out on an 05 MT before... rear diff issues don't sound fun but, anything's possible...
Posting a video may help, just have to create a link. Dropbox, YouTube, etc...
Best of luck!

Back