New Tacoma

No, manual trans works well offroad. I have had multiple stick shift jeeps and a ford ranger. I offroaded all of them.
With short enough gearing and in 4low you can usually just let out the clutch and let it crawl for rocks or steep incline/declines.
Other thing is to remember not to push the clutch if water fording(thats why wranglers and the tacoma can be started without clutch)
Only problem I had was one time i submerged a Jeep up to the hood in water/mud and I was stuck for about an hour. Trans got some muck in it and about 10k miles later my throw out bearing went bad

Welcome to the forum. Great looking Tacoma. I’m sure you’ll never regret getting into a Toyota with the comfort and practicality difference.

Definitely an improvement in comfort and more practical. I like that it still drives like a truck though. I have had another Toyota in the past - 1991 4Runner which I liked except for the engine which was way underpowered.
The Tacoma feels like it has plenty of power and with the manual trans and gearing it works well

Just like mine except I have the two wheel drive version with an auto.I also traded in a JK 6 speed manual.

Welcome. I have a 17 DCSBMT Sport. Ive crawled in it a bit, even in 4low I still have to give it gas to keep moving, but barely. If I did it all again, I'd get an automatic OR instead. Automatics get push to start and crawl control, plus the OR gets elocking diff, unlike my Sport. BUT I GOT A FANCY HOOD SCOOP AND PRETTY FENDERS THOUGH SO I GOT THAT GOING FOR ME. :/

Welcome. I have a 17 DCSBMT Sport. Ive crawled in it a bit, even in 4low I still have to give it gas to keep moving, but barely. If I did it all again, I'd get an automatic OR instead. Automatics get push to start and crawl control, plus the OR gets elocking diff, unlike my Sport. BUT I GOT A FANCY HOOD SCOOP AND PRETTY FENDERS THOUGH SO I GOT THAT GOING FOR ME. :/

The decorative hood scoop makes all the difference!

Oh also, I can now say from first hand experience, the "sport tuned suspension" vs the "off-road tuned suspension" makes basically zero difference on pavement...but once you're on a trail in the Sport, you feel everything. Is soo tight compared to the Off-road. Can't wait to get some Billys to replace this stock Sport suspension.

Welcome to the Forum! Did the same thing a few months ago, traded in my '15 Wrangler for a '17 DCSB OR. I don't off road any more unless hauling some mulch to my back yard counts, so I went with an automatic tranny. Good luck...

Back