NEw tires, how to keep from being stolen?

Changeling

Well I am getting a new set of tires in about a week.
I know there is a way to totally break into a wheel with locking lug nuts in a matter of seconds! So, how do you keep the thieves from stealing your tires and rims.
What if any new technology is available besides locking lug nuts and a good insurance company?

At the new HIGH cost of tires and rims there is no doubt in my mind that a new industry will be making a real comeback! Tire thieves!:sad:

I second that, a little paranoid. Unless you are rocking rims that are as much as your truck, it's not worth the effort to these "thieves", they know what they're looking for. Nothing to worry about, just be smart about where and how your are leaving your truck.

I havent heard of someone stealing tires off a truck in any "normal" parking situation

i threw gorilla locks on mine and called it a day

Park it in the garage..
I've had things taken off my vehicles in the past, but I have also had a truck vanish from my driveway about 25 years ago. Have your MD prescribe some XANAX and relax. This is why we all have insurance. If someone is going to swipe my wheels, I would rather they take the whole truck.. Just my opinion.

If your really worried about it get a car-alarm with motion and tilt sensors. I put one on my Chevelle back in the day and it would go off if someone so much as touched it. One night someone backed into it, (no damage) but that alarm sure went off. I have original Keystone Classic rims on it, all chrome, still have them on it to this day. I don't think they make them anymore. Here's a pic, took forever to locate one on the net.

310_Kustomag.jpg

Thanks Changeling! They came on the car when I bought it in '79. That alarm I talked about wasn't that expensive and it was wired to the horn. It used a tubular key which I put in the frame and run the wire though the frame so it couldn't be cut. Be hard to do on a Taco since the frames aren't boxed. But you should be able to figure out something to protect the wires from being cut. Like run a metal tube, bolt it to the frame or weld.

Tubular Key
momentary-spst-tubular-key-lock.jpg

I have a ZERO deductible on my insurance.. If they take the wheels, they also take the tires! BONUS! New wheels AND new tires.. It's a win / win as I see it. Once again, don't stress the small stuff. If they want it, they WILL get it, no matter if it's locked, unlocked, alarmed or in your garage. The term "Gone in 60 Seconds" comes to mind.. ~~Relax and enjoy your truck~~

I generally pull off any locking lug nuts I have & replace with standard matching nuts. I find them a PIA and dont like to mess with them everytime I pull a wheel for anything.

On the otherhand, spares are an easy target for thieves new tire, no jack needed quick & easy

Back