New truck talk

tacoinmyfuture

Hi! I’m looking a purchasing my 1st Tacoma soon and would like to get some input. I love this forum and there are so many helpful and knowledgeable people out here. I’m just throwing out some of my thoughts here.
I’m thinking I should buy from a local Toyota dealership so it’s easy access to oil changes and services. I would have a better dealership warranty and factory warranty as well I’m guessing. What other pros are there to sticking with a Toyota Dealership?
I would love to get some nicer rims and off-road tires. Can they upgrade at the dealership for a decent upcharge or would it be wise to wear out the already installed tires in several years and then purchase new off-road tires and upgrade the rims?
I would love to buy an already “fixed up” truck. I don’t know the lingo but I’m talking about a lot of trucks I see on here with the blacked out accessories and mods. I want a newer truck (2016+) with lower miles on it and don’t know that I can find one that’s “fixed up”, newer, AND in my budget. You get what I’m saying? Will I need to buy a stock vehicle now and then have all the new stuff added later if I can afford it?
If I purchase a lifted truck, is the factory warranty already voided?
What kind of “add ons” will the dealership be capable of providing when I do select a vehicle?
Would it be foolish to choose a new truck and have them trade out the tires/rims before I make the purchase? Would that mean I’m paying for the already installed set and then having to pay for a trade out on the new set of off-road tires?
This will be my first purchase from a dealership and I obviously am new to the process and options. Bear with me. [emoji23]
Here’s another example of what I may want to have...
I like the hood scoop on a Sport but also like the fender flares on the Off road trim. Can they change out the hood at dealership and not charge me for both?
Here’s another question... will an off-road spare tire fit where it’s supposed to go or will I have to use up a lot of space in the bed for a tire rack mount? I know I’ve seen roof mounts as well as ones that swing off of the tail gate similar to a Jeep’s spare.
I’m sure I’ll have plenty more questions! Thank you!

Nagotiation at the dealer is going to be tough if you have no experience. They are well trained to engage in battle. Keep doing your research, know what you want and go in with the knowledge and the price you want to pay.
Some of your questions like can the dealer do... yes they can do anything for a price. They will upgrade wheels, tires, lift, swap the hood, add fender flares, etc. again for a price.
The hood scoop has no function it’s for looks only.
A larger tire will not fit under the truck where the spare tire is. The space is for the stock tire you might be able to modify the space that’s something you’d have to look into.
The off-road has the crawl control, MTS and rear locker, and bilstein 4600 shocks and the black fender flares.
Sport has
All toyota dealers will want to up sale you on accessories. Lots of them are cheaper to do after the fact but lots of people won’t ever do it. You’ll also need money to do the mods after the fact. If you’re financing the vehicle all the dealer upgrades would be financed into the price.
Question is what are your uses for the truck? Do you need the double cab? Long bed? Off roading?

Like @OR17TRD said, the dealership will do anything for a price. A lot of what you want to get done will be cheaper to after the fact but it’s according to the amount of liquid cash you have to do the mods with.
As far as buying from a local dealership, unless they offer some added pluses from their service for buying from them it doesn’t matter. All dealerships will work on Toyota and every new one has the 2 year service plan already.
A lot of your needs will depend on what you plan to use the truck for. Look at the add ons and what each trim level has to offer to see what fits you best.
As far as buying used, if you see one you like with all the mods already done it may behoove you to look into it. A lot of times the used newer Tacomas sell for as much as a new one.
As far as the warranty being voided, that’s malarkey. Per the law (Magnuson-Moss) the only thing that is not covered is an added part and what it would cause to fail.
Look around to see your options.
I recommend using car gurus to compare deals.
www.cargurus.com

Back