Newb alert! Tacoma and Toytec 3" lift

Newb alert --please have mercy on me!

Hello gents,
First off thank you in advance for your advice. I have a 2018 TRD Offroad on order.
My struggle is tire size and rubbing.
All work is being done at the time of the truck arrival at/byToyota so that every thing is under warranty.
The plan is a Toytec 3" suspension lift with the upgraded upper control arms.
I want to run the TRD wheels with K02's.

I am conflicted by what tire size I should run. Truck will be used as a daily driver but also will see a fair share of weekend offroading. Not hard core offroading mostly forest roads and other trails around the mountains. I live on Colorado some of the trails can be quite rocky. My concern is the enteral one --wheel rub.

I had a great conversation with one of the tech's at Toyota, a guy that actually installs tires and lifts on a daily basis not the salesman. I asked if I could run 275/70/R17's without rubbing at full turn both forward and reverse. He said it may rub a little but that they can make the minor mods so it doesn't rub. He said that the front mud flaps did not need to be removed which strikes me as odd as almost all threads say they will rub on that. I figured since the truck will be used off road the front mud flaps need to go anyways before they get ripped off, but it did make me question the tech and what he was telling me now. What I didn't ask is how this will impact when offroading. No rubbing is great on the street but I want to avoid (or reduce it as much as I can) rubbing while offroading over rocks. Again I'm not talking hard core rock crawling but there will be times for sure that flexing will occur. Large ruts in the road and large rocks (bowling ball sized give or take) will be encountered.

So what do you all recommend to reduce the amount of rubbing off road?
265/70/R17?
265/70/R16? ---will these look goofy on 3" suspension lift?
275/70/R17?

I've seared all over multiple sites and people's answer to rubbing are all over the map. "oh 285's with no lift and no rubbing" to 265's and chopping to avoid rubbing so I don't know what to believe.

I really want the TRD rims as I like the look of the all black with red TRD lettering in the center. Is this bad rim choice for rubbing? I'll be honest I am not mechanically savvy...people talk about offset this that and the other I have no idea what any of that means. Just looking for a dumbed down answer as to the best rim/tire setup to avoid rubbing as much as possible during off road flex. I know this has been asked a million times so I appreciate your patience with someone like me. I have wanted an off road worthy vehicle since I turned 16....20 years later I have the income to do finally get it.

The tech also told me that a cheap steel rim with 275/70/R17 will fit under the truck as a spare. Can anyone confirm? He seemed pretty confident and as he's not a salesman (the dude was covered in grease) I want to believe him but after dropping close to 40K on a fully loaded TRD off road I dont want to screw up the final part.

Again, thank you in advance. Pictures of your setups are always welcome and your experience with rubbing while off road are invaluable to me.
Cheers.

Thanks for the prompt response! What about 275/70/17 I didn't see that on the list. Does that require offset / wheel spacers and to that point is having an offset or wheel spacers have any downsides long term? Again this all new to me. What about rubbing?
Anyone got pics of 265/70/17 on a 3 inch lift? I would like to see what that looks like.

I should clarify I am looking at the TRD PRO rims. 17 inch.

Thank you B-Man
After doing some more reading (again answers all over the board) I think I am going to go with the 4Runner TRD PRO Rims with 265/70/17 with KO2's, I think along with the Toytec 3" lift I shoudn't have any issues rubbing on the street and maybe some minor rubbing when wheeling if I REALLY stuff them. I mean according to the tire calculators the difference in height from 275's to 265's is .6 inches. Worst case I run the 265's, they look crappy I wear em out and get 275's or just sell the 265's used and take financial hit.
What kills me is when I go to the Toyota dealership's they always have lifted Tacoma's with 285's on them. They look great but I really want to avoid rubbing both on and off road and I have to think 285's would rub when wheeling without mods.
I just watched a you tube video of the cab mount chop. No way I want to do that to a brand new truck!

Please correct me if my logic is flawed. Like I said I'm a newbie. Thanks again for your feedback. If anyone else has opinions I am all ears!
Cheers

Thank you B-Man
After doing some more reading (again answers all over the board) I think I am going to go with the 4Runner TRD PRO Rims with 265/70/17 with KO2's, I think along with the Toytec 3" lift I shoudn't have any issues rubbing on the street and maybe some minor rubbing when wheeling if I REALLY stuff them. I mean according to the tire calculators the difference in height from 275's to 265's is .6 inches. Worst case I run the 265's, they look crappy I wear em out and get 275's or just sell the 265's used and take financial hit.
What kills me is when I go to the Toyota dealership's they always have lifted Tacoma's with 285's on them. They look great but I really want to avoid rubbing both on and off road and I have to think 285's would rub when wheeling without mods.
I just watched a you tube video of the cab mount chop. No way I want to do that to a brand new truck!

Please correct me if my logic is flawed. Like I said I'm a newbie. Thanks again for your feedback. If anyone else has opinions I am all ears!
Cheers
There's alot of folks here who are way more smart than me on the subject......glad the links above helped you out!

Can anyone answer this for me? 265/70/17 on a cheap steel rim that matches whatever offset ect..the 4Runner TRD PRO rims will use/need, will it fit in the spare tire location? The idea of mounting a spare in my bed really really turns me off.

Can anyone answer this for me? 265/70/17 on a cheap steel rim that matches whatever offset ect..the 4Runner TRD PRO rims will use/need, will it fit in the spare tire location? The idea of mounting a spare in my bed really really turns me off.
Yes that will fit in the space. The 4runner pro wheels are +4 offset and you could run 275/70/17 on them with the 3” lift and not have rubbing on road. You may have a little off roading though. Congrats on the new Tacoma. Welcome to the forum. Picture when you take delivery.

Back