Newbie Needs Help

Danno

Hi Guys, I need your help with a new to me '06 Taco, V-6, 4x4, ex-cab. I'm a mechanic but never owned one of these.
The truck runs well, has just had a new frame put under it by PO. It has 187k miles.

The problem is this, test driving around town I didn't notice how touchy the steering is but I commute 55 miles each way to work. At 80 mph the front end feels like someone took out the sway bar. Even at 40mph it feels like it has a steering quickener installed and faster it feels like it wants to jump lanes or like the outside wheel wants to tuck under as it tries to turn. If I use anything but fingertips and tiny input it's ready to make a turn and it rocks side to side like the sway bar is missing. I was surprised to find how thick that bar is, it feels like it's only a quarter inch thick.

Has anyone on the forum experienced this with a taco ? The sway bar links are in good shape. I'm suspecting it might be the shocks since I can't find anything else to blame it on.

Also, what are 886 springs? I see a guy selling a set and wonder what they are. I've been a Cherokee owner and come to the conclusion a Cherokee is a hole in the road you throw your money into. Hence my handle, almido..... All My Dough. was the name of a boat I had but it fits a Cherokee as well.

Thanks

Danno

Not sure about the steering issue but the 886 springs are heavier duty coils made to prevent front sag with an aftermarket winch bumper..

Nooooo 886 springs if its factory! Mine is 1700 lbs. heavier than it was off the assembly line and the 886 springs from Old Man Emu are for about 220 lbs of additional weight on the front of the truck!ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1460510876.762413.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1460510899.877869.jpg
New frame going under this in another month or so. Then the 6" BDS lift kit is coming out!

Hi Guys, I need your help with a new to me '06 Taco, V-6, 4x4, ex-cab. I'm a mechanic but never owned one of these.
The truck runs well, has just had a new frame put under it by PO. It has 187k miles.

The problem is this, test driving around town I didn't notice how touchy the steering is but I commute 55 miles each way to work. At 80 mph the front end feels like someone took out the sway bar. Even at 40mph it feels like it has a steering quickener installed and faster it feels like it wants to jump lanes or like the outside wheel wants to tuck under as it tries to turn. If I use anything but fingertips and tiny input it's ready to make a turn and it rocks side to side like the sway bar is missing. I was surprised to find how thick that bar is, it feels like it's only a quarter inch thick.

Has anyone on the forum experienced this with a taco ? The sway bar links are in good shape. I'm suspecting it might be the shocks since I can't find anything else to blame it on.

Also, what are 886 springs? I see a guy selling a set and wonder what they are. I've been a Cherokee owner and come to the conclusion a Cherokee is a hole in the road you throw your money into. Hence my handle, almido..... All My Dough. was the name of a boat I had but it fits a Cherokee as well.

Thanks

Danno
Sounds like your caster is way off have you gotten an alignment latley, x2 on what silver said 886 springs are 650# rated compared to stock is like 550# plus they give 3 in of lift

Back