Newbie with another freaking 2.5" lift question

Hamp

Okay so obvious new guy here that actually has searched and read previous threads.
Just trying to absorb all the info.
Thanks to @OR17TRD, @whippersnapper02, @Bojangles, and many others for their previous answers.

My situation:
2010 DBCB TRD OR Pre-runner with stock everything and 120,000 miles.
It's my son's truck(17) and he will be going to college this summer.

My Objective:
It is a daily driver, never off road (that I know of. . .) and looking for an improved ride and on road performance.
From my endless reading it looks like I will do a 2.5" lift since not interested in UCA.
Wanting to lift for looks and bigger tires eventually. One step at a time.
I believe this is call a Mall Crawler or something like that :)

My Budget is $1000-$1500.

My Question
I get it no rough country; no spacers and blocks, and with mileage probably needs new shocks anyway. I know jack sh*& about suspensions. I assume OME, Toytec, and Billstein are just different name brands of similar setups? Direct me down the road and I will take it and not go off the beaten path. LMAO

Lastly will it look okay lifted until another year or so when I can afford to get him some new wheels/tires. Any deals or packages to be aware of. Thanks in advance.

First, 2.5" lift on stock tires MIGHT look a lil goofy, but thats subjective. I ran a 2" with stock tires for a bit.

Bilstien 5100 will lift the front up to 2.5" via compressing the coils/lifting the bottom spring perch.
Ome and toytec/eibach offer lifting springs for the front. Id much rather use lifting coils, AND bilstein 5100 shocks and not setting the shocks for lift, just let the coils/springs do the lifting.

For the rear, id go with bilstein 5100 shocks again (rears offer no lift)... And use an add a leaf (aal) for the lift. Blocks tend to make the leaf springs weaken faster.
Id suggest a progressive aal with 3 leaves... Itll be a smoother ride.

upload_2019-3-13_19-12-49.png

Is this an accurate cart of what you recommended? Appreciate the quick responses and welcoming as well.

Let me know if I missed anything. Not sure what to do about rolling around on stock wheels. . . while lifted.

Thanks,

View attachment 24748

Is this an accurate cart of what you recommended? Appreciate the quick responses and welcoming as well.

Let me know if I missed anything. Not sure what to do about rolling around on stock wheels. . . while lifted.

Thanks,
close

I cannot tell what those coilovers (front) are.
if those are the "ultimate" setup, they are **** set at 3" of lift, I dont know if they are any better at 2.5"
can u give me a link to those front coilovers?

oh, and I forgot, unless you are using threaded coilover bodies, you should get a 1/4" spacer for the FRONT DRIVERS SIDE ONLY, as the oem coils are side specific due to added weight on the driver side. Over time the stock setup starts to lean to the drivers side still.... Aftermarket coils are NOT side specific so the "LEAN" is exaggerated.

google "tacoma lean"

upload_2019-3-13_19-39-29.png

To new to link pages. . . LOL who knew.

This is the link. It said lifted front coils. Again I'm not familiar with this so appreciate the help.
And I will check on the ICON. Thanks,

View attachment 24749

To new to link pages. . . LOL who knew.

This is the link. It said lifted front coils. Again I'm not familiar with this so appreciate the help.
And I will check on the ICON. Thanks,
those are the new coils for 3" of lift if i read correct

Id suggest different coils............ Im sure SOMEONE has the 2.5" OME coils combined with 5100s and can chime in

plus ONE of these for the driver side lean
https://www.toyteclifts.com/tp14-front-top-plate-spacer-one-1-4-thick-spacer.html

This is why it makes us new guys even more confused. I found this to be the lift coils on that setup.
It says 3" lift and then the coil says 2.5" which is what I want.
I guess you can add a spacer to get the 3" which I would not do for my setup, right?

upload_2019-3-13_20-43-38.png

This is why it makes us new guys even more confused. I found this to be the lift coils on that setup.
It says 3" lift and then the coil says 2.5" which is what I want.
I guess you can add a spacer to get the 3" which I would not do for my setup, right?

View attachment 24750
I see, that should work for the front then. I missed that, good yob
U will need a 1/4" spacer for the drivers side still... But thats it and u should be even side to side

With a 3” lift and stock wheels 265’s if you have an aftermarket wheel you can fit up to 285’s the height depends on the rim size. 75/16, 70,17, 65/18 so on.
0 or -6 offset works well for 285’s @OR17TRD (from a previous thread)

I'm confused by this a little. I think my stock wheels are 265/70/16 without a lift currently that I am aware of?
If I lifted it 2.5" can I not fit a bigger tire than the 265's on the stock rim? I have no idea how to find the offset of the stock wheels.
I assume by changing to an aftermarket that lets me change the offset so that it will work with a 285 tire?

Maybe it isn't stock? I will upload a photo.
Thanks,

With a 3” lift and stock wheels 265’s if you have an aftermarket wheel you can fit up to 285’s the height depends on the rim size. 75/16, 70,17, 65/18 so on.

I'm confused by this a little. I think my stock wheels are 265/70/16 without a lift currently that I am aware of?
If I lifted it 2.5" can I not fit a bigger tire than the 265's on the stock rim? I have no idea how to find the offset of the stock wheels.
I assume by changing to an aftermarket that lets me change the offset so that it will work with a 285 tire?

Thanks,

Stock tire size is 265/70/16

285 wont fit without cutting and modifying the cab mount as far as i know. I havent bothered looking into new rims or 285s for a loooong time, im content with 265/75/16 on stock rims.

I prefer the gray mod myself ... Truck looks plain, people leave it alone, less stress for me. #be_gray #wasnt_me #im_not_here

Just dont do spacers, cuz u KNOW its going offroad.

Also since it is an offroad, he/you should be engaging the rear locking diff OFF OF PAVED ROADS once erry couple months. Im not good about this either, the consequence is not having it lock the one time you/he needs it.

Thanks,
Stock tires are 265/70/16 on off-road if you’re talking about a 3rd gen the offset is +25.
If you have a 2nd gen and they are stock wheels offset is probably +30.
You could go up to a 265/75/16 like @Bojangles and if you want to lift it 2” it’s going to look good. Yes you’ll want to change the offset to clear the UCA on a stock wheel. If you want to sit on 285/75/16’s then you’ll either need a 1.25” wheel spacers. Or my recommendation is usually the TRD pro 4runner wheels which are +4 offset or an aftermarket in a 0 or a -6 offets are kind of the sweet spot for the least rubbing and modifications.
A 2.5-3” lift will help clear thw wheel wells with the 285/75/16’s. You can fit them with a 2” lift but there is more trimming and modifying like the CMC to help clear everything I’d rather go up. If you get a 3” lift there may be a need for new UCA that can help with alignment.
Hope that helps with some of the confusion.

Just dont do spacers, cuz u KNOW its going offroad.

Also since it is an offroad, he/you should be engaging the rear locking diff OFF OF PAVED ROADS once erry couple months. Im not good about this either, the consequence is not having it lock the one time you/he needs it.
I miss engaging a rear locker just because I could. :(

Back