Not a Tacoma owner yet...

Stelcom66

But I may become one. I saw a 2005 with 192k miles for $7999. Would I be crazy to buy this with those miles? I have a company van so I don't accumulate a lot of personal mileage, maybe around 3,000 a year. I currently have a Honda Pilot, bought that for use as a truck at times - but I realize now I'd be better off with a real truck. I saw a post in the Honda Pilot forum where someone had 320k miles on their Tacoma, that's encouraging. I was considering a full size pickup, but I don't really need that. The primary use as a truck would be for hauling firewood, dump runs etc. Also - the fuel economy on my Pilot seems no better than the Chevy Silverado I had. The best I saw was 15.2 mpg in the summer, I'm probably below 13 mpg now. My research shows the Tacomas get around the same or slightly better. Fuel economy isn't a huge priority, but I've spent way more on gas for the Pilot than I expected.

The other concern was the seating position. I realize the seats are lower than a typical truck, but overall it seems comfort is rated at least good. I could get a full size truck with significantly less miles for the same money - but I believe in you get what you pay for.

Welcome to the forum. Honestly they are great trucks. But that price for an ‘05 with that high of mileage seems a little steep. Go to Car Gurus and look at the Tacoma’s for sell in your area.
www.cargurus.com

Thanks for the replies, will check out the links. I also thought the price was a bit steep, they always seem to be for Toyotas but priced accordingly. Believe it or not $7999 is actually good for this area, I did find the truck on Cargurus which stated it was a 'great' deal priced about $2k below market value, and KBB prices it as seen below with the options such as V6, automatic (would love to find a manual) and the TRD Sport package. I did test drive the truck yesterday, but it had an aftermarket (loud) exhaust which was unappealing to me so I drove it very briefly. The comfort is fine, while the seats are lower than a typical truck that's no longer a concern. It rode a bit better than expected based on Consumer Reports's review. The dealer showed me the frame, it was replaced (probably recently) at a nearby Toyota dealership as it looked new. When researching Toyota 4Runners before buying the Pilot, I saw a couple (hopefully rare) stories of head gasket failures with the 4.0 V6. Still not sure what I'll decide on, full size or mid size. The dealer offered to install a factory exhaust, so still may consider this 2005. I do have concerns about the high mileage, but it may be 3 or so years before I hit 200k. I'll check around to see if there's some reports from 200k+ miles owners.

2005 Tacoma 192k.JPG

Last edited:
But I may become one. I saw a 2005 with 192k miles for $7999. Would I be crazy to buy this with those miles? I have a company van so I don't accumulate a lot of personal mileage, maybe around 3,000 a year. I currently have a Honda Pilot, bought that for use as a truck at times - but I realize now I'd be better off with a real truck. I saw a post in the Honda Pilot forum where someone had 320k miles on their Tacoma, that's encouraging. I was considering a full size pickup, but I don't really need that. The primary use as a truck would be for hauling firewood, dump runs etc. Also - the fuel economy on my Pilot seems no better than the Chevy Silverado I had. The best I saw was 15.2 mpg in the summer, I'm probably below 13 mpg now. My research shows the Tacomas get around the same or slightly better. Fuel economy isn't a huge priority, but I've spent way more on gas for the Pilot than I expected.

The other concern was the seating position. I realize the seats are lower than a typical truck, but overall it seems comfort is rated at least good. I could get a full size truck with significantly less miles for the same money - but I believe in you get what you pay for.
Hello and welcome to the site.Im new also,,,you are in the same position as myself,,company van comes home with me..I traded 2014 F150,which I owned and decided to Lease.Made money on the deal as well as,,for three yrs,the new Tacoma is covered,bumper to bumper,oil changes,flat tires,etc...getting 20 mpg on a v-6,auto trans,4x4,,Love this Truck

Wow 20 mpg, thought you were going to say 2WD. A heck of a lot better than my Honda Pilot. Interesting you downsized, I own a wood stove and the best value is delivery of a full cord, but I like to be able to pick up wood here and there. That's where it kind of makes sense going to a midsize truck. A full size truck with an 8' bed is said to carry about half a cord. Also - parking will be less of a concern with a Tacoma. Nice you have full coverage on the Tacoma.

yeah,almost 20 around town, 23 on the turnpike,love the ride of the truck,solid unlike my ford, Told Tacoma and Thundra really hold there value, good luck in your search

Thanks. Just looked at your truck, Black Beauty is right! Saw a couple older Tundras out there, that's my budget due to a job change last year. I'd consider one of those too.

I"m new here also, not a Tacoma owner yet, but have always wanted one. My brother has the 17 sport and loves it! The one thing he doesn't like about it is the wheels though. What are all you guys thought on the wheels? for the 3rd generation Tacomas?

I"m new here also, not a Tacoma owner yet, but have always wanted one. My brother has the 17 sport and loves it! The one thing he doesn't like about it is the wheels though. What are all you guys thought on the wheels? for the 3rd generation Tacomas?
I like the off-road and the TRD pro wheels.
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum. I like the third gen wheels on the TRD Sport, OR and Pro. Even the SR and SR5 wheels are a stretch better than they used to be in previous generations.

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks - the price of the 2005 Tacoma I was looking at Increased $1000 to $8999. The dealer said there was a bidding war going on, but I won't be in it. These must be good trucks.

Thanks - the price of the 2005 Tacoma I was looking at Increased $1000 to $8999. The dealer said there was a bidding war going on, but I won't be in it. These must be good trucks.
You’re better off not getting into it like that.

Like @OR17TRD said, you are better off staying out of it. There’s plenty of other Tacomas out there.

Back