Not sure what to do

Trey Holland

So my check engine light just came in and it’s throwing out the code PO420 which is the catalytic converter. My 2006 Tacoma has 188 thousand miles on it. I haven’t noticed that much of a decrease if any in engine performance. But when I start it cold the rpm Is higher than normal till the truck warms up. But the dude who checked it also said it could be o2 sensor. Any ideas ?

The P0420 code in a Toyota Tacoma will often be thrown one of your oxygen sensors are not functioning properly. Typically, thecode will be triggered by the upstream oxygen sensor (before the converter). Service Engine Light– Often, this is the only symptom of the Toyota Tacoma P0420 code.

From google [emoji6]

I had the same problem. Started getting the same code at 155K miles. I got my frame replaced and my exhaust was so rotted out so they put new system on for me (everything except manifold) and that problem went away. They did not give new sensors tho. So your cat is probably beginning to get clogged. When you think about its function, its not surprising to understand how it gets clogged after a lot of miles.

If you want to do a test, go for a good drive to get everything up to operating temp. Use an IR thermometer and measure upstream and down stream of the cat. If the temp varies by 70 F your cat is clogging up.

They are not cheap to replace but because of the way the ECU is programmed I dont think you can get away with just removing the cat.

Cheers,

Look into a o2 sensor spacer its a brass fitting
I had cat fail a while back and check engine was on a shop put one on for me as a temporary fix so I could pass smog test and worked fine for me it’s like 4$ each I had it on for another 50k miles until I replaced my whole exhaust

Back