Oil change

a bit over 5k now since last OCI and sitting just shy of 350k easy tacoMiles
with the front under splash shields 'aka skids' off i can also change the OEM oil filter as there is easy-for-me to access it underneath on the crippled up shoulder
it is still a bit of a reach but i can just barely get at it
:confused:

so yt was spinning the old oil filter off for the 350k mile OCI on the gen1
well the filter slipped from the hand at the end and DROPPED right into a full 5+ quarts of the oil just drained directly below
splashed everywhere
made an exceptional mess
thankfully none splashed into my face directly but did get into the hair as i turnt away from the hot action

A tip for you. Don't use an open drain pan.

There are many variants of drain pans that will capture the oil in a jug for easy recycling. Drain into the "pan", install the caps, haul to the recycler. Very little muss, very little fuss and no clumsy transfers into jugs risking more spill.

Glad the oil drain pan I have is pretty hard to make a mess with, especially changing the oil on these gen3 v6's. Old open pans are like a recipe for a flood if using them on todays vehicles.

there was no issue other than the wind gusts blowing oil as the first purge was draining to a trickle
then that OEM filter dropped about 2 foot straight downward spiral into the mostly full pan

If all was good, then there is no reason for the drama, unless you prefer messy. When I change my oil, there's nothing to get excited for...no fuss, no muss. It's just another boring task. Biggest pita is driving to the recycling station, and pouring the old oil into a large tank.

i just drop off the used jug container at the local autoZone and they handle it...

about 5300 miles on this semi-synthetic havoline
on a 5VZFE with 350k miles onit

oil at 350k.JPG

Auto zone is 25 miles from me...the towns recycling center is about 6, plus those guys at this auto zone here don't like you giving them old oil unless its bought from them.

@tacojoel.

I think it is Federal Law for anyone selling oil must be able to accept used oil. So, it matters not 1 iota if the "guys" like it or not.

My used oil goes to a local Oreilly who is about 1/2 mile away. I generally buy my oil at Menards. I get 11% rebate on future purchases at Menards. Just need to mail in the receipts, then a few weeks later a voucher is returned. Works pretty well.

Auto zone will eventually take the old oil if never purchased from them, but not without some drama. They want to sell their oil instead thats 30% higher vs Wally World.

Back