oil change

crestone

Hello al.l I own a 2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Off Road. I have a question for you. I have been told to use Genuine Toyoto API SN SAE 0W-20 Motor oil with oil grade ILSAC GF-5 for oil changes. However, my service department uses bulk Mobil 1 synthetic.

1. Is the Mobil 1 used for oil changes compatible with Genuine Toyota motor oil.
2. Is the Mobil 1 oil SAE 0W-20 and ILSAC GF-5 specs as recommended by Toyota?
2. Is it safe to switch from Genuine Toyota Motor oil to the Mobil 1 Synthetic?
3. It appears the Mobil 1 synthetic oil is a little cheaper then the Genuine Toyota synthetic.
Can I purchase the Mobil 1 Synthetic oil at a parts store if in fact it is compatible and OK to
use?

I just want to make sure that I am doing what is right for my Tacoma without causing any harm. You advise and knowledge is important and means alot. And I do not want to mess with my warranty.

Awaiting your response and thank you in advance.

You can run any brand you think is good as long as it's 0w-20 and change at recommended intervals. Mobil1 is good....Amsoil is good......some folks like Castrol.....some use Pennzoil... etc...... The Magnuson Moss Act states you don't have to use Toyota oil.....Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the FTC prohibits any manufacturer from voiding warranties by the use of aftermarket parts and maintenance. As long as you follow the particular service life recommendation or use an oil analysis program you are covered.

Toyota oil is blended by Exxon Mobil so they probably aren't exactly the same but so close you'll never know the difference. Like trd man said, any good 0/20 will do just fine, the important thing is to change it on a regular basis. Just my opinion if I was going to use mobil1 id go with the extended performance version.

I would have an extremely hard internal battle pouring 0w20 into any engine. It is more like water than oil it is so thin.
I see myself changing the oil, if I buy a Taco, in the first 100 kms, and going to 5w30.

I would have an extremely hard internal battle pouring 0w20 into any engine. It is more like water than oil it is so thin.
I see myself changing the oil, if I buy a Taco, in the first 100 kms, and going to 5w30.
From my understanding of why 0W-20 is used is because Toyota and other makers who recommend this weight want oil immediately flowing to engine parts.....also, the oil passages are smaller and again they want oil flowing immediately upon start-up. Just my understanding of it.

BC, I'm not going to say don't run 5/30, but if you do be careful and make sure you don't aquire any strange noises. Theres several things that operate off of oil pressure and oil flow. When I had my Ram everyone on the forum swore that the spec 5/20 was too thin and should be running 5/30. I tried 5/30 and mine developed a knock about mid temperature for about 15 seconds and then it would go away. Put 5/20 back in it and everything was quiet. I know we're talking 2 different engines and manufactures but still just be careful.

Ever notice "toyota" oil bottles look like mobil bottles?
Chat with a parts counter person and ask em about the bottles looking the same

You can run any brand you think is good as long as it's 0w-20 and change at recommended intervals. Mobil1 is good....Amsoil is good......some folks like Castrol.....some use Pennzoil... etc...... The Magnuson Moss Act states you don't have to use Toyota oil.....Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the FTC prohibits any manufacturer from voiding warranties by the use of aftermarket parts and maintenance. As long as you follow the particular service life recommendation or use an oil analysis program you are covered.

Dont the fiat crowd have to use penzoil super ultimate platinum 5-20?
The 3.5 3.7 or some lil engine?

Use a quality oil that meets the specs in the Tacoma owners manual. I was using Mobil 1 and NAPA Synthetic 0w-20. I noticed a small amount of oil consumption during the factory oil change interval of 8-9000 miles (following the Toyota service light) So, I switched to Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20. I am also using a Toyota TRD oil filter since I owned my truck. Once I started using the Rotella oil.... I have not had to add a drop of oil during my last two oil changes.

Use a quality oil that meets the specs in the Tacoma owners manual. I was using Mobil 1 and NAPA Synthetic 0w-20. I noticed a small amount of oil consumption during the factory oil change interval of 8-9000 miles (following the Toyota service light) So, I switched to Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20. I am also using a Toyota TRD oil filter since I owned my truck. Once I started using the Rotella oil.... I have not had to add a drop of oil during my last two oil changes.
Youre workin on me BigMau, instead of ordering enough of my usual Amsoil to complete my next oil change I might have to give this rotella a try.

Thank you all so much for your knowledge and recommendations for the type of oil to use in my 2017 Tacoma trd off road 4x4. Thanks to all of you I pretty much have a handle on what to do for my next oil change and great oil options.

Local mechanic that owns both a Tundra and Tacoma (he just serviced my trans with fresh Toyota WS fluid) uses Castrol Edge 0w-20 in both of his trucks. I asked him about Amsoil and I was thinking about switching over to Amsoil Signature 0w-20.Both of us agreed that it's not a good idea to stretch the oil change interval too far. Basically, a quality synthetic that meets the specs of your engine will serve you well. I just noticed Rotella seems to work great with much, if any burn-off. I also have a magnetic drain plug installed on my engine and have noticed no ferrous metal dust collecting on my plug since switching over to the Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20..

Local mechanic that owns both a Tundra and Tacoma (he just serviced my trans with fresh Toyota WS fluid) uses Castrol Edge 0w-20 in both of his trucks. I asked him about Amsoil and I was thinking about switching over to Amsoil Signature 0w-20.Both of us agreed that it's not a good idea to stretch the oil change interval too far. Basically, a quality synthetic that meets the specs of your engine will serve you well. I just noticed Rotella seems to work great with much, if any burn-off. I also have a magnetic drain plug installed on my engine and have noticed no ferrous metal dust collecting on my plug since switching over to the Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20..
I understand youre concern about stretching the OCI however thats not me, I change my oil every 6 months, 5k/6k miles.

Back