Opinions on potential purchase

JmsWms

Hello, All! I'm new to the forum, but have had a couple of 'pre-Tacoma' 4WD Toyota pickups. I'm now very interested in the 2016 / 17 model Tacoma, but have a question or six about these newer models. I'm looking at slightly used models to save a few $$$. I don't do OR, but like to have 4WD for those odds and ends jobs that crop up occasionally. I have been searching for months now, and am looking for the TRD Sport model in Red, Gray, or especially Inferno. I recently found a 2016 Red with everything I want at a very decent price. It has 19k miles on it and it's in great shape. After all the reading about the differential recall, I decided to take a look under there and am attaching a picture. I was very disappointed to see what I saw. This truck is supposed to be a Toyota Certified used vehicle. It's being sold by a very reputable dealer in my area. I haven't talked to them about it yet, but am very concerned that I will see trouble if i go ahead and purchase.
What do you all think about this diff? Should I slowly turn around and walk away? And one other question... does anyone really know if Toyota has fixed this problem on the later 2017 (after the recall) and 2018 models?

Thanks!
TacoRear.jpg

Hello, All! I'm new to the forum, but have had a couple of 'pre-Tacoma' 4WD Toyota pickups. I'm now very interested in the 2016 / 17 model Tacoma, but have a question or six about these newer models. I'm looking at slightly used models to save a few $$$. I don't do OR, but like to have 4WD for those odds and ends jobs that crop up occasionally. I have been searching for months now, and am looking for the TRD Sport model in Red, Gray, or especially Inferno. I recently found a 2016 Red with everything I want at a very decent price. It has 19k miles on it and it's in great shape. After all the reading about the differential recall, I decided to take a look under there and am attaching a picture. I was very disappointed to see what I saw. This truck is supposed to be a Toyota Certified used vehicle. It's being sold by a very reputable dealer in my area. I haven't talked to them about it yet, but am very concerned that I will see trouble if i go ahead and purchase.
What do you all think about this diff? Should I slowly turn around and walk away? And one other question... does anyone really know if Toyota has fixed this problem on the later 2017 (after the recall) and 2018 models?

Thanks!
View attachment 14239

Welcome to the forum.
That looks like a very fresh leak. The rear differential recall should have been done already since it’s a CPO. There’s a possibility that it was fixed and filled and that’s from the diff not being cleaned off, that’s a lot of fluid though.
If you trust the dealership ask about it and get it fixed if it’s the truck you want.
If the pricing is near the same I’d look at a 17 that’ll go cheaper or a new 18. That’s just my opinion.

Last edited:

Thanks!
View attachment 14239
Looks like it had a really good leak. I’m surprised they didn’t clean it off. If you really want that one make them give you a 8 yr 125k mile 0$ deductible VSA with it. They’ll do it to make the sale. Nagotiate the price more? You’ve got the power until you sign the papers.

Thanks!
View attachment 14239
You can put the vin number in here and see if it’s been done .
http://www.toyota.com/recall

Thanks for the replies! All good advice! I entered the VIN in that link and it said:
"There are no open Safety Recalls or Service Campaigns for this vehicle."

I assume that means it has been in for the recall, but I will ask them at the dealership and see what they say. Thank you both for your help!

Back