Paint easy to scratch and chip

Joonkin

I've noticed that the paint on my '16 Taco is very easy to scratch. Is there anything to put on it that hardens the paint? I have waxed it a few times but it seems like I've seen on here somewhere something about a wax or treatment.

Yes, they come with a clear coat. Problem is that today's water based paints don't stand up as well as the older paints.

Apply a paint protection film like Xpel and Suntek. These films are expensive but have the best self-healing property.

Yes same here. I'm on a constant 'scratch watch'....still in that new phases with my 2016... Not super educated on this stuff but this video was helpful :

2016 Access Cab TRD Sport - Black

New 2016 Taco sport owner with under 4K miles and already numerous scratches to speak of. My '04 Tacoma went 10 years and 130k miles with the same two scratches.

Dealers aren't stocking the paint pens readily. My usual scratch treatment of a paint cleaner followed by polish then wax hasn't cleared them up thus far.

Love the truck though so I'll work through it.

Klasse is the product I was thinking of. Anybody ever tried it?

I use it. As soon as any of my new vehicles hit the driveway it's wash, clay, seal, and then wax. Takes two days, I always let the Klasse sealer harden 24 hours before I wax.

Also use a high end quality wax.

It will still scratch, best protection is a 3M clear film, but most folks only do anywhere from 6-12 inches of the hood, behind the tires, since lots of rocks/debris gets flanged by the tires.

Toyota has it on their build site for Tacoma's, think it's like $300 just for a piece across the hood. You can get a way better deal aftermarket. Like with all the Toyota accessories.

Since you didn't seal it when you first got it, you'll have to use a buffer and a "polish" which will actually remove the scratches. As long as they aren't too deep and into the paint, the polish will remove some of the clear coat.

Be careful tho, you don't want to remove too much clear. If you know of a really good detailer price check'm to see how much they would charge to buff out the scratches, then seal and wax!

Back