Paint stock skid plate on 2018 TRD OR

NewTacoDad

I have a cement 2018 TRD Off Road and want to paint my stock skid plate a similar cement gray color. The stock black one doesn’t stand out and blends in to the shadows below. I also don’t want to spend $200 for a TRD or after market skid plate. I plan to do it right...sand, prime and paint. I’ve read that some have used bedliner spray, and others rustoleum. What about plasti-dip? Any recommendations from the group are greatly appreciated.

Use plastidip if u stick to malls.

If your gunna use the truck off-road, use rattle can of any color.

If you use the truck off-road often enough, that pretty skid being paint matched to your truck is gunna draw even more attention to the dents and scrapes when they happen.

Your money tho.....I've heard about ppl powder coating sliders and skidplate... So I guess there's no "wrong" way, just more economical ways to do it depending on uses and careful consideration of the parts and their job.

Use plastidip if u stick to malls.

If your gunna use the truck off-road, use rattle can of any color.

If you use the truck off-road often enough, that pretty skid being paint matched to your truck is gunna draw even more attention to the dents and scrapes when they happen.

Your money tho.....I've heard about ppl powder coating sliders and skidplate... So I guess there's no "wrong" way, just more economical ways to do it depending on uses and careful consideration of the parts and their job.

Thanks for the insights. I definitely plan to use it for light off road...camp grounds, Boy Scout outings, fishing, and out of the way shooting ranges. I will plan to use rattle can spray paint, and the more I think about it, darker is better!

Thanks for the insights. I definitely plan to use it for light off road...camp grounds, Boy Scout outings, fishing, and out of the way shooting ranges. I will plan to use rattle can spray paint, and the more I think about it, darker is better!
I use rustoleum hammered black spray paint on my sliders...........dents and touchups are cheap, quick, and the slight texture hides imperfections

I agree with simple.... mine was sprayed with rattle can undercoat and topped with red paint. Holds up well and easy to touch up between oil changes. I did that to my 2016 Sport. Now I have a 18 TRDor which is due for an oil Change soon. I’ll do It the same.

If you have a Linex close by, they can do custom color spray in bedliner. That would be a more rugged option and probably look fantastic

Back