Paint the chrome

rrt1949

Anyone out there paint the chrome rear bumper end caps on their '16-'17 Tacoma? I've painted metal chromed bumpers and have had no issues. Would really like to strip the chrome off the plastic and then color match to my silver sky metallic. Tried several strippers but they won't touch the chrome. On metal I always "scuffed" the chrome with 80 grit sandpaper until there was no shine. Then used a self etching primer. 80 grit is way too course for the plastic so I plan on 1000. Tried 1500 and it didn't cut much at all. Didn't feel like spending a few hundred on black caps and then having to paint them anyway. Any experience with this would be appreciated.

Painted the caps...sanded with 320 grit, primed with an epoxy primer, shot two coats of the color matched base and finished with three coats poly clear. Match was fairly close, if you didn't know they were painted you probably wouldn't notice the very slight difference. Silver seems to be a bitch to match perfectly. Direction of the metallic spray makes a lot of difference.

Attachments

• DSC00668.JPG
    DSC00668.JPG
    878 KB · Views: 50
Back