PCV valve 09 Tacoma (oil usage)

BigMau

I purchased my 09 Tacoma (4cyl 4x4) used with 62,000 miles on the clock. I currently have 182,000 on this truck and have been noticing about a half quart of oil being used between 5000 mile oil changes. If anyone is having the same problem.... check your PCV valve. Mine was clean, but would only rattle a slight bit. A new PCV valve and elbow hose seems to have solved the problem. I wondering if the is a common problem with Toyota 4 cyl engines??? I noticed lots of youtube videos with Toyota PCV valve replacement??? Anyway, a cheap fix for this problem!!

1/2 qt per 5000 miles is not considered a problem, it's actually pretty admirable. but, if you can get it to zero, okay.

So far... with a little over 1000 miles after the PCV valve replacement, oil is at the same level. I was thinking the same thing WiskyT :) I guess with a tad over 180,000 miles on the engine, it's was a good idea to replace this part.

Wondering if this is a common "minor issue" with the 2.7l 4cyl.??

So far... with a little over 1000 miles after the PCV valve replacement, oil is at the same level. I was thinking the same thing WiskyT :) I guess with a tad over 180,000 miles on the engine, it's was a good idea to replace this part.

Wondering if this is a common "minor issue" with the 2.7l 4cyl.??

PCV valves are a maintenance item. I don't know what the service interval is these days, but back when cars had carburetors, we changed the PCV valve at every tune up, about 12k miles.

If you are burning a 1/2 quart of motor oil every 5000 miles, that is just normal wear for any age engine. Remember some of the engine motor oil always bypasses the cylinder rings as the pistons go through their cycle no matter how tight the tolerances are, and therefore, some oil is burned in the combustion stroke.

If you are burning a 1/2 quart of motor oil every 5000 miles, that is just normal wear for any age engine. Remember some of the engine motor oil always bypasses the cylinder rings as the pistons go through their cycle no matter how tight the tolerances are, and therefore, some oil is burned in the combustion stroke.

Yes... I agree. I have 183k on my truck. So... some oil usage should be expected.

Hey BigMau,

I change the PCV valve in our Tacoma every other year that is the interval I think the manual recommends. Believe me, BigMau, you are not consuming enough oil to worry about anything. No matter how good the tolerances are even on a new engine, some oil is going to bypass the valve seats and the piston rings, and it will be burned in the combustion stroke. That is just the nature of an over head combustion engine. Just think of what would happen to the piston rings if no oil bypassed them. They would age prematurely, and deteriorate because of how hot they would get.

Take it easy,

Paul

Last edited:
Back