performance upgrades for V6 on a budget ???

TacoKen

Looking to upgrade performance if possible on my 2015 V6 double cab 4X4. Thinking maybe trying to increase intake and possibly exhaust also. Any ideas and are they really worth it? I added 18" wheels and 33" tires that noticeably slowed down the truck. So would like to get some torque and maybe horsepower over stock. Tuner kit?

New air intake is quick HP and doesn't void your warranty. Most exhaust upgrades are easy bolt ons that can be installed in your driveway or garage. Usually just from the cat back on the passengers side. Most have larger diameter pipe than factory and the mufflers have less back pressure increasing air flow exiting the exhaust. I always use K&N intakes with all my vehicles and have never had any problems. FJ, Tacoma, Duramax, 6.0 liter gas GMC. If you do an intake and cat back exhaust you'll feel a difference in power at the pedal . Do some reading online and based on how much you want to spend do it ! Enjoy

I agree intake and exhaust is the easiest and most economical way to get a little extra performance. Usually larger exhaust will increase horsepower but may hurt bottom end torque. Think I will start with cold air intake. I'm really surprised how sluggish the V6 is in the 4x4 double cab is and especially with oversized wheels and tires. It's a nice truck but in my opinion underpowered.

I agree intake and exhaust is the easiest and most economical way to get a little extra performance. Usually larger exhaust will increase horsepower but may hurt bottom end torque. Think I will start with cold air intake. I'm really surprised how sluggish the V6 is in the 4x4 double cab is and especially with oversized wheels and tires. It's a nice truck but in my opinion underpowered.
I second that. And the new 3.5 has something like 278 HP. WTF.

My truck came with the TRD exhaust. Then I added the URD CAI and MAF calibrator. Big difference in response. Added a couple MPG on the Hwy.

My truck came with the TRD exhaust. Then I added the URD CAI and MAF calibrator. Big difference in response. Added a couple MPG on the Hwy.
I'm stock as far as performance, but I'll still take you in a drag race......lol

Not sure what a URD CAI is. MAF calibrator regulates the amount of air for the MAF? What is the cost for this?

Thanks for the URD website. Looks like a cold air intake is what I need. I am really looking for low end torque. With my oversized
wheels and tires I seem to need more pedal to get the truck moving. I was kind of disappointed in the V6 performance to be honest.

Thanks for the URD website. Looks like a cold air intake is what I need. I am really looking for low end torque. With my oversized
wheels and tires I seem to need more pedal to get the truck moving. I was kind of disappointed in the V6 performance to be honest.
The throttle response is better. I tend to scare people who have their window down when I get on it. It does rumble. If you add the calibrator and tune it you can squeeze almost another 20HP out of it.

Went on a few websites and looks like most CAI are not doing much or anything for lower RPM torque. Everything seems to be above 4,000 RPM. Minimal gains even there. K&N CAI adds maybe 8 HP at over 4,000HP and showed nothing at lower RPM. Also not legal in California since it won't pass smog.

Back