Plastidip

Yeaa ive seen it all over with nice results, I just figured if it peels right off how well could it really hold? thanks for the info though...Maybe ill give it another shot...is your entire badge coated? Or like just the "face" of it done...It looked like the outside edges were the chrome still in that one pic.. Does it seem to get more durable after a curing time? I did about 4-5 coats, went to lightly scuff it a day later and do one more and it just rolled off...so that's why Im a little reserved about using it..

Yeah most people dip there emblems while still on the truck. You can have overspray and it "should" peel off perfectly around the letters with no problem. Also, there is no need to scuff up plastidip to apply more plastidip, it will adhere to itself. If you are willing to try it again, give it another shot. But if not you can still use a primer and spray paint to blackout your emblems

Last edited:
Yeaa ive seen it all over with nice results, I just figured if it peels right off how well could it really hold? thanks for the info though...Maybe ill give it another shot...is your entire badge coated? Or like just the "face" of it done...It looked like the outside edges were the chrome still in that one pic.. Does it seem to get more durable after a curing time? I did about 4-5 coats, went to lightly scuff it a day later and do one more and it just rolled off...so that's why Im a little reserved about using it..

That's just the glare of the sun, all the chrome is dipped. You don't want to scuff or rub them between coats or after your done. Just let her dry about an hr between coats. Also use a toothpick to get the over spray between the letters and inside the letters off after 30 mins from final coat. Once it cures 3~4 hrs it's fairly solid. There is a slight gap between the emblem and your body, that's the 3M tape between the emblem and the body of the vehicle. At $5 a can I only used about a 1/3 of the rattlecan to do mine. Still holding up. You don't want to rub them after your done. Just powerwash them to clean.
Also avoid doing it in direct sun, windy & high humidity conditions. Only reason I went this route was I didn't want to debadge, paint then reapply badges. This stuff made it easy and I can always redo if needed in the future. I haven't jacked with mine since I done them and they still look the same.

Attachments

• Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1379891404.400345.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1379891434.688516.jpg
I plasti dipped my grill and my wheels. I take it 4 wheelin all the time and been in some pretty rough places and never had any peeling problems. Still looks great

I sprayed the steps, wheels and about 4.5 in up the kick panels. I'm planning on doing the bumpers, brush guards next. Here's before & after pics. before ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1380085741.721678.jpg beforeImageUploadedByTaco Forum1380085837.055836.jpg after ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1380085875.276784.jpg

Just ordered my wheel kit from dipyourcar.com. Anthracite Grey!!!

Post pics please. I am thinking about doing my steel wheels in that color. Not sure how it will look. Wanting to dip my chrome rear bumper. Just have not had the time. I dipped this last week. ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1380227871.654321.jpg

Looks good! Yeah Ill post pics as soon as its done. Just have to wait till I have a free/dry weekend up ahead.

Did my bumper and front grille... no more chrome... for now. I'll peel it off later.

Attachments

• 1381018524182.jpg
    1381018524182.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 128
I was skeptical of the product but I was surprisingly pleased with the result. I looks great, works well I've had it driving around the past thunderstorms and some rough roads and its held up great. I respect everyone's view and some go for more permanent things but I see these rims lasting years the way it's going. Low price great look great results. What rim paint job can u get with $40 this good?

I like black rims. My son says they are "murder" and "gangster". I guess that's a good thing?

Starting out with my factory steelies on both my sons' 2000 and 2003 Rav4's, we used ONE can of TremClad BBQ paint. That matte black finish was beautiful looking even after ONE coat. I had enough paint in the ONE can to do both vehicles with a few coats each tire/rim. :yes:

So after 3 winters (salt capital of North America here), I've only had to touch up a few of the rims. That's another $10 can. So after 2 complete cans of Tremclad Flat black paint, I've done 2 Rav4 and 1 Tacoma's steel wheels.

This spring, I will paint up my factory steelies on my 2010 DCSB V6 SR5. I'll post pics at that time. Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. ;)

cheers,
Barney

If you are gonna do this crazy stuff,Just do Rhino Coating Everthing on truck,scratch proof and tough as steel as Jeep owners and hunters and Military outdoorsman realy do!!!It wood look better and last forever,you can get it done in ANY COLOR!!!wont scatch ever or wear out!!! Rhino Coat it instead!

Back