Popping sound when braking

JDMorris

Wondering if anyone has had, or heard, of this problem before...just about every time I apply brakes I hear a small click or popping sound coming from back brakes. I can't determine what side it's coming from but it's only in the back, not front. Any idea what this might be?

If the truck is old or has high mileage it is probably one of the small parts inside the drum breaks that has broken. There are several springs and adjusters inside the drum that could have broken loose and be banging away inside the drum. Pulling the drums off should reveal if any thing has broken inside.

The only issue with pulling the drums is that if there is a lot of wear on them, they form a ridge on the inside edge that makes them hang up on the shoes. You have to back off the adjusters to retract the shoes enough to slide the drums off. It is not a big deal to do this, but it can drive you nuts if you are inexperienced and not aware of it.

If everything inside the drums looks good, I would check the leaf springs and anti-lock system next.

This gives you an idea of what you are looking at. The video is accurate, but overly simple. For instance, the threads on the star wheel should be inspected/cleaned/lightly greased or the wheel should be replaced entirely. Star wheels corrode and seize up leaving your brakes with no ability to adjust.

Also, the various springs take a beating over time due to corrosion and heat. They usually come in a "hardware kit". The kits are pretty cheap and it is a good idea to toss the old parts and replace with new especially since one of these parts is likely to be your problem in the first place.

New shoes are cheap and last a long time. If they are close to being worn, replace them along with the hardware.

The proper brake tool makes the job 10X easier. For the $10.00 or so a brake tool costs, get one. You will save more than $10.00 in time and bandaids using a proper brake tool instead of regular pliers and vicegrips.

If the drums have a ridge like I mentioned previously, and you are replacing the shoes etc, get the drums cut. It is cheap to have done and since this whole job is the kind of thing you will probably only do once in the life of the truck, worth the effort.

Replacing everything I mentioned, buying the tool, and getting the drums cut will cost about $100.00 and take you the better part of one day between learning how to do it and driving to the parts store etc.

Actually, instead of regular grease on the threads (ONLY!) of the star wheel, you should use Never-Seize.

I am having the same sounds except it's coming from the front brakes.

It could be something as simple as an anti-rattle spring or shim that broke and is rattling around or as complicated as something in the hub like bearings etc. I'd pull the wheels and calipers off to see if there is anything damaged in the brakes.

Back