... possible MT transmission fluid weep or the transFer case weep

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 351k on the 0D0
Hi All :)
was alerted to the transmission possibly weeping at the transfer case
wiggled underneath the rig and found some definite pooling in a few spots
checked the levels of both gear boxes and found the level to be full and perhaps a bit overfull with the amount that came out of the check plug on level ground
but i had just gotten back from a hot wheel in the wind so it was still warm gear oil in there
if it all matters what temp it should be for a proper check since that fluid likely expands when heated

...will need to keep an eye out on this

Ambient temperature. After the truck has completely cooled to surrounding air temperature.

what seemed like gear oil was in many places on the transmission housing and transfer case, likely due to the wind tunnel underneath?
.. no pics this time but next time, most definitely
and i am pretty sure i was not a slob when i packed in the new stuff in the transmission a few thousand miles ago with the squeezy packets

no noticeable spots on the ground

have the well-trained and certified 'mechanics' not ever heard of this ambient temperature effect?

Not a real genuine weep then? but a pseudo weep disguised as such?

Sorry. The engineer in me doesn't really understand "room temp". Ambient temperature is better defined.

its a phrase shops use. Its not all that critical when it comes to manual transmissions, transfer cases, or differentials. More important to make sure any of these one way breather's don't become plugged that excessive pressure builds inside forcing leaks.

Have come across a number of those breather's plugged up from either undercoating fouling them, or all sorts of road crud building over time.

definitely road crud buildup in spots underneath in hard to get at spots
i was checking for those oil pan weeps and fingered out a good amount of dirty caked on the AC bracket area on the side up front

Back